Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call outs for great work at AirVenture this year

Call outs for great work at AirVenture this year

I just wanted to start a thread that will allow us to compliment and recognize the folks that did a great job at the show this year. These are the little things (and maybe not so little) that just seem to go well and we don't always notice.

First, ATC. Always an outstanding job, with lots of concern for our safety and patience with all of us.

Vehicle traffic control - much improved this year, with the volunteers directing traffic appearing to be much better trained. Particularly near the critical intersection near the bus park between the main entrance and the road to Pioneer Airport/Nature Center.

Kobussen buses - Always friendly, helpful drivers.

La Sure's catering - I was at several events where they provided the catering, and the food, as always, was good, on-time, and the service well-choreographed. At an event this large, both in area and volume, with all of the competing needs, that is an achievement.

OK, folks, I've only scratched the surface - your turn...
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Shower house cleaning - I have no idea what goes into this; don't want to know, but the house I used was always ready.
    Port-a-potties - Either people are treating these better, or they are getting a LOT of service, or probably some of both. But these were also always ready wherever I went.
    The campground bus service - sign said started at 7am, but I got on a bus at pretty much quarter-to every day for some early-morning wanderings.
    Traffic - sure, the routings were a little round-about, but I never waited in a big non-moving line. Since I'm a "commuter camper" (tent in a suitcase, fly in commercial & rent a car), I got out to dinner & back every day rather easily.
    It's the "background stuff" like this that makes all the great presentations, demo's, and seeing & talking with the vendors just that much more enjoyable...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

I saw them re-filling the water tanks at the showers, so I'm happy that we never ran out of water. The water in the FREE
    drinking fountains was always cold, so I really appreciated that.
    Our street in Scholer (12th) was repaired with gravel after the muds came, so I was VERY pleased with that, I drive a Focus that doesn't so a foot of mud.
    We also really enjoyed the K-9 demo at the Federal Pavilion, more than I thought we would.
    I had a blast at the show, there are always a few gripes, but they are far outweighed by the positives.

I told the guy who maintained the mens shower trailer in the South 40 that they'd never been kept so clean, and I meant it. Many thanks to him. The ladies' side seemed well attended too.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Great idea for a thread, Bob!

I'll add a couple myself.

First: Every volunteer, ever. This was convention number 15 for me, the 4th on staff, and each year I get more blown away by the depth of commitment from the tireless volunteers who make it all happen.

Second, a special shout-out for Paul & Todd, and Dave & Pat who handled our streaming webcams and the LiveATC support respectively. These guys did an amazing job, and made the "virtual AirVenture" experience a reality for grateful viewers and listeners all around the world.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Kudos also to the folks who put on EAA Radio. What I heard was informative and well produced. I also appreciated all the thought and work they did ahead of the event to make sure it was accessible to everyone who wanted to listen.

Big thanks to the volunteers who didn't miss a lick even during the horrible heat and humidity. Many come only to volunteer and could have bailed but did not. Funny how they give and give but don't complain, yet those that don't give are the complainers.

Special thanks to the corporate sponsors that step up to the plate with $$$$, people resources and material donations. We could not do our job without them.

Agree with LaSure's. The best meals we had in 10 days in OSH were La Sure's catered events.

Operation Thirst needs recognition for keeping the volunteers fed and hydrated. Didn't see the numbers this year but they usually make 12,000+ 'mystery meat' sandwiches during AV.

+1 for everyone involved in the "virtual" AV experience.
    EAA Radio In particular Digital Dave and Fast Eddie for getting my day started off right.
    The volunteers because they volunteered...
    The attendees for supporting the greatest organization in the world!!!!
    Rick

Credit where credit is due, Hal. You were outstanding in keeping up with all the "take a photo of this or that aircraft" requests, funny captions, & keeping the lines of communication open for members here on the forum. Take a banjolele-type bow

The guy cleaning the men's showers behind the hangar cafe was a hoot this year. He talked a mile a minute about just about anything but he sure kept the place clean. He was always moving!