Thread: Aeronca Chief Doors Off

Aeronca Chief Doors Off

Is it permissable to fly my Chief with the doors off. Everyone seems to skirt around this question. I think it would be great for summer flying!

The Chief is a model 11 right? If so, the TCDS doesn't say that you can. I didn't look for an STC, although I believe there is one for the Champ. Here is the link:
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...FILE/A-761.pdf
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by RGatewood View Post
    Is it permissable to fly my Chief with the doors off. Everyone seems to skirt around this question. I think it would be great for summer flying!
    Check with your local FSDO. My Cessna 180 has approval to fly with doors off and there is a long list of requirements for it that must be carried in the aircraft during operation with a door off., including number of passengers, maximum airspeed, having a safety strap across the opening, no slips, etc. You should be able to get a local FSDO to approve it based on the 7AC approval. Good luck though. Never try to outguess what the FAA will do..

Richard,

I just sent you a message.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by richard warner View Post
    check with your local fsdo. My cessna 180 has approval to fly with doors off and there is a long list of requirements for it that must be carried in the aircraft during operation with a door off., including number of passengers (in the chief you're stuck between 1 or none), maximum airspeed (this is the airplane the faa put an ad out on to check for bird strikes on the trailing edge of the wing after each flight...speed not a factor), having a safety strap across the opening (as you barely have a seat belt inside the plane i can't see a strap across the door as being particularly useful), no slips (so landings are going to get interesting...), etc. You should be able to get a local fsdo to approve it based on the 7ac approval. Good luck though. Never try to outguess what the faa will do..oh you can guess but you'll always be wrong...good news is you can go to another fsdo and find a completely different answer!)
    chris
    Last edited by Hiperbiper; 07-16-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Coors Light
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...

this is the airplane the faa put an ad out on to check for bird strikes on the trailing edge of the wing after each flight...speed not a factor
    All I can think of is Ron White doing his routine about being on a commuter plane with the pilot leaning out the window and telling a goose to "GO AROUND!!!!"
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.