Thread: C-85 using 0-200 crankshaft rebuild

C-85 using 0-200 crankshaft rebuild

I need to rebuild my C-85 and would like to get the most Hp. out of it. I understand that using a 0-200 crank, stock cylinders and pistons with a c-90 camshaft will achieve this. Is this a good combination? what carb is best? Is there a better combination? What else do i need to know before getting started?

Thanks
    Steve Horychun

Harry Fenton has some answers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Horychun View Post
    I need to rebuild my C-85 and would like to get the most Hp. out of it. I understand that using a 0-200 crank, stock cylinders and pistons with a c-90 camshaft will achieve this. Is this a good combination? what carb is best? Is there a better combination? What else do i need to know before getting started?

Thanks
    Steve Horychun

Hi Steve,

A good starting point is Harry Fenton's notes on small Continentals:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm

He discusses several of the issues you're asking about. He also recently gave an EAA webinar on the subject, which suggests to me that he's still enthusiastically helping people with these maintenance and mod procedures.

HTH,

Jeff

Thanks
    Steve Horychun
    Don Swords. Www.donsdreammachines.com

We just did this to my friend's C 140. Aircraft Specialties has the whole kit including the STC for about $4000. It has a new crank, new pistons and reconditioned rads. Divco can do the machine work required. I understand it is best to use the stock C85 cam if possible. My friend found a brand new one on Ebay and Aircraft Specialties inspected and tagged it. We also went with a Marvel carb. Aerosport Power did the rebuild and it runs strong in the test cell. Don
    Attached Images Attached Images  

C-85 using 0-200 Crank

Thanks
    Steve Horychun
    Hello Steve, I am an owner, not mechanic; I purchased a Cessna 140 with a fresh (137 hours) overall with an 0-200 crank, new pistons , rods, the original C-85 cam was inspected and polished, reinstalled. The 0-200 cylinders already installed where refurbished, new exhaust valves, springs installed. STC claims no more horsepower, but my 140 takes off and climbs notably better than the C-85 in my previous somewhat lighter C-120 (both have climb props). A close friend with a C-140 has an 0-200 in his, notes we lift off and climb about the same (he was behind me) and were both astonished to find we had identical top speeds. I believe he can cruise faster (due to differences in props?). I've had this engine now for 14 years, about 950 hours, only issues have been cylinders off couple times for sticking valves, one finally replaced. This has been a very satisfactory engine. I go to every maintenance seminar I can, have not heard of anyone putting in or even suggesting using a C-90 cam. Doesn't the C-90 turn slower? You'd need a different prop? One great source for info on C-85 vs 0-200 conversion vs C-90 would be the Cessna 120/140 Association. Hope this provides some perspective.
    Roger Morton

Henry Fenton is doing an EAA webinar this evening on all the small continental from the 65-200, starts at 7 pm central time. See you there......

Tony