Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just got my tailwheel endorsement!

Just got my tailwheel endorsement! Me too!!

When I got home from vacationing in Ohio, I clicked on What's New and found this thread. I thought Weaver had stolen my story. Same airfield, same plane, but I got my endorsement on 7/11/2012. My instructor was Joe (Land th' Plane!) Smith.

I'm nearing completion of my Thatcher CX4 and hadn't flown for 13 years, so I knew I needed recent experience and the TW endorsement. Stewart Aircraft was recommended as being a hard core, grass strip, school by other CX4 builders in Ohio. Since Red Stewart, there are three more generations of the family on the field, and the youngest, a boy of about seven, told me all about the family's cub and a "t-craft."

I don't think my instructor Joe ever wanted to say anything humorous (safety is his priority) but if he had, it might have been, "Headsets! We don't need no stinkin' headsets!"

Also on the field were a Twin Beech for skydiving and a Spezio Speedster.

This is a great place with very pleasant people and an atmosphere that seemed like fifty years ago. I recommend it!

-glen

Name:  sm_P1010145.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  66.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by N404CX View Post
    Just got my tailwheel endorsement! Me too!!

When I got home from vacationing in Ohio, I clicked on What's New and found this thread. I thought Weaver had stolen my story. Same airfield, same plane, but I got my endorsement on 7/11/2012. My instructor was Joe (Land th' Plane!) Smith.
    That is awesome Glen!! I'm glad that you stopped by when you were here. I've met Joe a few times; he definitely seems pretty humorless, but a good instructor. Did you come out here just to fly at Stewart?

You're right about the atmosphere....it's amazing. I only wish that "Cub" Stewart (Red Stewart's son) would grow the business a little more and make it as well known as Jack Brown's Seaplane Base. I think they have the history, staff, facility, knowledge, and airplanes to become the go-to place for tailwheel and aerobatic training.

I think I may remember you from when I was there....was that you with the black hat with "N404CX" embroidered on the front? (I think that was the number). If so, then you flew right after me twice. (in my previous post with all the pictures, I'm in the black shirt in the back seat of the 85hp Cub).

I don't log onto these forums often enough...

Although I could ramble on with praise for Red Stewart Airfield / Stewart's Aircraft Service for weeks, I'll try and keep it brief.

I started flying there over four years ago now - flew a Champ up through first solo, then flew 150s through my PP checkride. Still fly there regularly - Cub, 150, 172 right now, haven't flown the Champ in a while. All my tailwheel time has been logged there - about 25 hours in the Champ and 45 in the Cubs.

Everything Samuel said is spot-on. It's about as grass-roots, vintage aviation as you'll find anywhere in this fine country. Everyone goes through spin training prior to solo - it's great instruction and a lot of fun. I've spun the Champ, Cubs, and 150 personally. I've also been up in the Stearman once - and trust me, I need to do more of that. Pronto. They're also (slowly) working on restoring a Pitts that will end up on the flight line. It truly is one of the most unique and excellent rental fleets you'll ever find.
    One minor clarification, though - the youngest Stewart is only about one year old. He's Emerson IV, goes by Ace(y).

Anyway, if you're even remotely close by you should swing by some time. Heck, lots of people come from afar to train there. A few years ago I met a pilot from Australia (who found out about the airport via my blog) who came here for two weeks to get his tailwheel endorsement. You'll find a huge variety of pilots and aircraft here - from the ASEL ones listed above to gliders, gyros, even hot air balloons. Definitely a place for some fun hangar flying.

Some of my favorite photos of the airport and airplanes from my years flying there:

...and one video that pretty much sums the place up in a nutshell:

I'll leave you with this - check out my blog if you want to see a ton of photos and videos from fun flights in the Champ and Cub. Literally every flight I've ever flown is captured in a post on there.

Oh, and they have a Free Airshow each year over Labor Day weekend - it's September 1st this year!

-Steve
    Last edited by sdilullo; 08-22-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Steve. Thanks for chiming in. I love that picture of the city from the Cub....I'd never thought to take it somewhere other than the pattern! That looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverJ3Cub View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Steve. Thanks for chiming in. I love that picture of the city from the Cub....I'd never thought to take it somewhere other than the pattern! That looks like fun.
    Thanks!
    If it makes you feel any better, it took me about four years to get around to flying the thing downtown myself...
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.