Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got my tailwheel endorsement!

Good work Weaver! As for the prop. I doubt that the 75 mph J-3 knows the difference. I learned to fly in J-3s (solo to PPL) and I sure couldn't detect any difference.

Bob

Thanks guys for the explanation of wood vs. metal props. It's all new to me. Learning a lot on here. Thanks again. (RetroAcro, if that's your Pitts in your avatar photo, then congrats! Nice looking airplane...looks like fun too.)

Bob...thank you. Your mention of the Cub's speed reminds me, when I was out flying today I had both doors open and was getting ~71mph level at 2500'. Then, I decided to close the lower door to see what would happen, and I instantly accelerated to 76mph! I found that funny! Good lesson in drag.

As my instructor said while pointing out all 4 instruments on the dash: ".....that's your airspeed. If you're looking at that then you're in the wrong airplane....."

From the flight this morning.....
    Name:  IMG_1230.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  42.9 KB

Dutch rolls, falling leaf stalls (pretty benign in the Cub compared to the Champ. Anyone else agree?), steep turns, and takeoffs and landings. Though they should probably be more properly called "arrivals and departures."
    Last edited by WeaverJ3Cub; 07-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Weaver,
    Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I win the give away this year. I'll have to look you up!!
    plans building a Sonex!!

Quote Originally Posted by nfdlpilot View Post
    Weaver,
    Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I win the give away this year. I'll have to look you up!!
    Whoa there! Hands off my plane! ;-)

I take umbrage! That Cub is mine................:-)
    Larry
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

Mentioning the words "Cub" and "speed" together is like putting "military" and "intelligence" together.

But "fun" and "Cub" are almost synonyms!

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverJ3Cub View Post

Bob...thank you. Your mention of the Cub's speed reminds me, when I was out flying today I had both doors open and was getting ~71mph level at 2500'. Then, I decided to close the lower door to see what would happen, and I instantly accelerated to 76mph! I found that funny! Good lesson in drag.
    Why are you flying so high? Hold thumb and forefinger 1/4" apart....when the cows are that size you are 'bout right......

The 300hrs I have in a 1940 J-3 is some of my most treasured flying. That plane taught me a lot about flying and how a simple aircraft can enhance the most basic flight instincts in a pilot. My Legal Eagle XL is now my ticket to low-n-slow.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 07-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Why are you flying so high? Hold thumb and forefinger 1/4" apart....when the cows are that size you are 'bout right......

The 300hrs I have in a 1940 J-3 is some of my most treasured flying. That plane taught me a lot about flying and how a simple aircraft can enhance the most basic flight instincts in a pilot. My Legal Eagle XL is now my ticket to low-n-slow.

Enjoy!
    I totally agree, Sam. Thing is, I've heard so many horror stories of crotchety "landlubbers" taking pictures of "low flying" airplanes with their 400mm telephoto lenses and then reporting them to the FAA. Needless to say, the pilot gets in LOTS of trouble and isn't given the slightest benefit of the doubt (forget about multiple witnesses....). Ground level is about 1000' MSL around here.

So for me, I fly just high enough that my N-number isn't readable! It helps that this Cub only has one on the rudder....

—Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverJ3Cub View Post
    I totally agree, Sam. Thing is, I've heard so many horror stories of crotchety "landlubbers" taking pictures of "low flying" airplanes with their 400mm telephoto lenses and then reporting them to the FAA. Needless to say, the pilot gets in LOTS of trouble and isn't given the slightest benefit of the doubt (forget about multiple witnesses....). Ground level is about 1000' MSL around here.

So for me, I fly just high enough that my N-number isn't readable! It helps that this Cub only has one on the rudder....

—Samuel
    Don't waste much time worrying about "horror stories", most of them are like statistics, made up on the spot 96.45% of the time......

500' over sparse population, 1000' over congested areas and you are fine. As low as prudence will allow anywhere else.

Enjoy.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Don't waste much time worrying about "horror stories", most of them are like statistics, made up on the spot 96.45% of the time......
    LOL!

I flew over my house at 600' AGL (we're out in the middle of nowhere) and it was a lot more fun down there. The view was actually better! You can see things!