Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got my tailwheel endorsement!

Just got my tailwheel endorsement!

Hello fellow EAAers.....

I'm very excited. After 4.8 hours in a Piper Cub, I finally have my tailwheel endorsement! This is particularly exciting since I have been an enthusiast of the Cub since I was 5 or 6, but never thought I'd be able to actually fly an airplane, let alone a Cub. But today, it happened. (Dreams do come true, I guess.)

Here are two pictures. I trained at Red Stewart Airfield in Waynesville, OH with Dave Buchanan. This is a great little strip (and Dave's a great instructor). If you get a chance to fly in, don't miss it.

Now I'm looking forward to getting checked out in their Taylorcraft and 7AC Champ. Let the fun begin......I'll be putting in a lot of hours in the Cub in the next few months....

Name:  IMG_1194.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  52.2 KBName:  IMG_1204.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  48.7 KB

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Congrats! Flying a classic taildragger is among the most fun and rewarding things you can do as a pilot. Nice work, and thanks for letting us know!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Congrats. Like a PPL is a licence to learn, a taildragger indorsement is a ticket to fun. Nothing like flying an uncomplicated airplane to get you in touch with aviation.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Flying/owning a J3 Cub is like owning a Golden retreiver, almost all wag and not much bark or bite, if you stay out of big windy days.

That is a nice Cub in the photo, but who put that Cessna prop on it? Real Cubs have wood props, except maybe ones on floats. Maybe that one has an electric starter, thus they don't hand prop it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-07-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Congratulations!
    You'll have a lot of fun in these older simple planes.
    Be aware of, and respect the wind and you'll find that these little planes are for the most part pussy cats.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it. Like rosiejerryrosie said, I feel like this is a license to learn all over again. I may have my endorsement now, but I'm still far from satisfied with where I am as a tailwheel pilot.

Bill, I'm not an expert on that plane....but I don't think that's a Cessna prop. We hand prop it, and having seen it up close, it looks like the metal props I usually see on Cubs. Again, I'm no expert on it. I agree, it is a nice plane. No upgrades, just the standard 65hp, 12gal tank, and no electric—just the way it should be!

I'd love to own one one day, but I think the only way that's going to happen is if I win the EAA raffle one.

Since we all love airplanes, and by extension, airplane pictures, I thought I'd add a few pictures of the planes we have here at Red Stewart Airfield (40I).....

In addition to the usual suspects (C150 and C172), there are several taildraggers available for rent...

Taylorcraft...
    Name:  IMG_1214.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  74.0 KB

7AC Champ....that's a fun airplane. Hopefully my next checkout.
    Name:  IMG_1177.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  44.0 KB

Another Cub, this one with 85hp....climbs like a rocket (alright, a Cub rocket then!
    Name:  DSC_7715.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  67.7 KB

A Stearman....
    Name:  DSC_8050.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  41.4 KB

And, owned by resident airshow pilot Brett Hunter, an MXS. A beautiful sight! (Needless to say, this one is NOT for rent!
    Name:  DSC_3972.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  64.1 KB

There's also a Citabria that they use for aerobatic training (no picture), and a Pawnee for glider tows.

It's a fun place. Lots of history, enthusiastic pilots, and friendly people. And they are the only grass strip I've ever found on a sectional that actually sells fuel.

Congratultions, most excellent!

Tailwheel endorsement is next on my ticket. I have earned my private ticket, but nothing since then.
    It seems that all the "cool" airplanes have a tailwheel, and now you've opened yourself up to flying all of them!

Congrats and just let me say regarding the assortment of aircraft for rent in your area: you lucky duck! There's ONE tailwheel (an Aeronca) within an hour of here for rent that I have come across.

Tailwheel endorsement is next on my ticket. I have earned my private ticket, but nothing since then.
    It's on my list too. I figure that tailwheel will make a nice follow-on to the instrument rating.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Champ FTW!

There's something magical about conventional gear that makes me want to just spend an hour doing nothing but touch and goes - going for that greaser three pointer, converting a botched one into...um, I mean working on wheel landings, pegging the spot aimed for and rumbling to taxi speed long before the first turn off, and slipping! Oh, how I love to slip!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.