Thread: Can a CFI-SP instruct with a C150?

Can a CFI-SP instruct with a C150?

I hope someone could help me with this: I really want to get people into GA and in the air, so I was very happy to learn about the sport pilot instructor option. It will cost no small amount getting from non-pilot to CFI-SP with LSA. My question is, just what kind of airplane can I use to instruct in? Can it be any plane I am otherwise authorized to fly? Or must it be a S-LSA? It appears there are conflicting opinions. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

As a Sport pilot - without Private or higher privileges - you can only instruct in LSA aircraft. But
    you may add additional LSA class and category to you SP-CFI.

If you go the Sport Pilot/Sport Pilot Instructor route you can instruct in any LSA plane that you
    are qualified in and have 5 Hours PIC in. See FAR 61.419 (a) - (d) as the FAA is specific with
    their definition of qualified. The good news is that you do not need the FAA - Just a CFI to bless you.

§61.419 How do I obtain privileges to provide training in an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft?
    If you hold a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating and seek to provide
    training in an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft you must—
    (a) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who trained
    you on the applicable areas of operation specified in §61.409 certifying you have
    met the aeronautical knowledge and flight proficiency requirements for the
    additional category and class flight instructor privilege you seek;
    (b) Successfully complete a proficiency check from an authorized instructor other
    than the instructor who trained you on the areas specified in §61.409 for the additional
    category and class flight instructor privilege you seek;
    (c) Complete an application for those privileges on a form and in a manner acceptable
    to the FAA and present this application to the authorized instructor who conducted
    the proficiency check specified in paragraph (b) of this section; and
    (d) Receive a logbook endorsement from the instructor who conducted the proficiency
    check specified in paragraph (b) of this section certifying you are proficient in the
    areas of operation and authorized for the additional category and class flight instructor privilege.

Pete
    Last edited by weiskopf20@gmail.com; 07-06-2012 at 10:50 AM.

So any kind of plane I am allowed to fly, I am allowed to instruct in? Like an Ercoupe?

There is a list of certificated aircraft elgible to fly in the light sport category someplace in the EAA. I have pasted it below. In general, Piper Cubs, Taylorcraft, Aeronca, and Ercoupes but only those which were certificated with a gross weight of 1320 Lbs or less and not subsequently modified to raise the gross weight are eligible. If the aircraft had the gross weight increase, it can not be returned to the LSA category.

Also note: there is a reg someplace that says that an aircraft presented for a flight test must be capable of all required tasks and that the FAA does not like to make exceptions. I haven't read the LS PTS in a while, so you should compare the LS PTS against any A/C's limitations that you plan on instructing in and verify that it can perform all the required elements. The Ercoupe has been blessed in the past, but airmen passing the practical test in the Ercoupe have their license marked ... Limited to Ercoupe 415 Series without rudder pedals.

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/...q.asp?faqid=11

http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/..._aircraft.html

Pete

Thanks for the advice. I guess what I'm getting at is this: If I can fly it legally, can I teach in it legally?

that's the way I read it too........ One caveat though, don't let a student take you someplace that you haven't been before. I.e., This is especially true with tailwheel A/C. I won't expound on this, there are others who can tell you tales of woe about low time (in type) instructors in tail wheel A/C.Pete

Say a person who already has a Private Pilot certificate (and current medical) goes out and gets a CFI-SP (easier to get than a full CFI). As a Private he's authorized to fly a C-150, which is not LSA, but can he instruct in it? I think that's what the original question asks.

to provide "logable" instruction in a C-150 requires a CFI license based upon a Commercial or ATP pilot's license. The sport pilot CFI is limited to sport category a/c. However, there is at least one place that it requires a SP CFI to have a private license.......... see far 61

Me thinks if you instruct as a SP CFI the time later will not count if your student decides to get aPrivate license.
    check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by weiskopf20@gmail.com View Post
    to provide "logable" instruction in a C-150 requires a CFI license based upon a Commercial or ATP pilot's license. The sport pilot CFI is limited to sport category a/c. However, there is at least one place that it requires a SP CFI to have a private license.......... see far 61
    It requires a CFI certificate with an airplane rating. The type of pilot certificate doesn't enter into it. CFI certificates aren't "based on anything. If you go out and get a CFI-SP even if you an ATP, you're limited to instructing in SP.