Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2012 Webcam Official Thread

Thank you for the great job with the webcams!! As 30+ year attendee (who couldn't make it this year) AirVenture represents a being at home feeling for me. I was glued to those views many times during EAA week. They certainly reenforced the feeling that I must get back to Oshkosh for AirVenture 2013. I also managed, by cell phone, to maneuver a good friend of mine in front of the vintage area cam and we enjoyed a short, one-way video chat.
    It's also interesting to get a glimpse of the ramp up and wind down. What plans might you have for keeping them active during the off season?

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
    Thank you for the great job with the webcams!! As 30+ year attendee (who couldn't make it this year) AirVenture represents a being at home feeling for me. I was glued to those views many times during EAA week. They certainly reenforced the feeling that I must get back to Oshkosh for AirVenture 2013. I also managed, by cell phone, to maneuver a good friend of mine in front of the vintage area cam and we enjoyed a short, one-way video chat.
    It's also interesting to get a glimpse of the ramp up and wind down. What plans might you have for keeping them active during the off season?

Many Thanks
    Ken,

I am glad you were able to enjoy the views we were able to provide.

Unfortunutly we are not able to keep the camera live all year. The wayfinding towers that the camera are mounted on will be laid back down in about a week, leaving no place to have a camera to see anything. The towers have to be raised and laid down every year because they interfer with the instrument approaches and while the towers are raised the ILS is out of service. Also all our internet connection at those locations will be taken down as well and the server software lisence will be expiring on August 2nd, so after that, the remaining cameras will be offline.

For the most part the EAA grounds are very quite about 9 months out of the year with most of the setup activity starting about 3 months before the show with exhibit tents starting to be erected. The highest activity around here is the 2 weeks before and then planes starting to arrive late in the week before the show starts. With this in mind, we alway try to have the cameras online as soon as possible after the towers are raised so people can view some of the setup of the grounds, watch the aircraft arrive, and see the city of AirVenture spring to life. It is amazing how much gets done here in the last 2 weeks before the show.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    I think a lot of things were stressed/stretched to the limit at Airventure 2012.
    Electronics & Humans don't function very well in high heat and very cold temperatures.
    Case in point: Record 100° in Oshkosh, WI. Breaking a 72 year-old mark of 97°.

Attachment 2323

Farmers started giving crushed ice to the Chickens so they would stop laying hard boiled eggs. Thats HOT!!
    I would like to personally Thank the guy who invented air conditioning.

Thanks for the reply,
    You are correct, some of those days were cooking more than eggs.

Webcams were great. We went home on Friday and were able to watch the warbird show on Friday and Saturday from home. Also, I had to serve at church Sunday morning, to ease my Oshkosh withdraw I had the cams up watching departures while I was helping out.

Thanks for the information Todd!
    If you need a volunteer for next year let me know how I can sign up.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ritzman View Post
    You are correct, some of those days were cooking more than eggs.
    yeah, we need to add a 50 gallon drum of this stuff to the list for next year http://shop.antimonkeybutt.com/produ...tt-Powder.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hayden View Post
    yeah, we need to add a 50 gallon drum of this stuff to the list for next year http://shop.antimonkeybutt.com/produ...tt-Powder.html
    ...and don't forget the IT 'breakfast of Champions'....can you buy Mountain Dew by the drum?

actually I volunteer for a handful of places and I must say EAA treats us well. We love the ninja like volunteer we have never seen, nor meet, that keeps a good supply or soda and magical sandwhiches in the fridge. This "Mt. Dew fairy" has a special place in our hearts.

Angry

Drove back to Oshkosh this afternoon to recover the webcams from on the wayfinding towers since they were laid back down on Thursday.

Right away there was not good news , first one I went to I found that it was broke off and in pieces. Not sure if it occured when the tower was laid down or if it got hit after the tower was laying down. This was the Vintage tower, which is the busiest location on the field. Needless to say, it is not fixable.

Name:  2012-08-04 19.52.02.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  89.9 KBName:  2012-08-04 19.51.27.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  96.7 KBName:  2012-08-04 19.51.40.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  94.8 KB

The other two were recovered without any damage.

Looks like we're starting our streamer support fund about $2K in the hole.

If the thousand or so of us who watched every day chipped in........just sayin'.
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 08-04-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: more to say :-)