Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2012 Webcam Official Thread

If opening day's afternoon showcase and airshow are any indication of the week to come, it's gonna be a heckova week!

Ok..Airshow is over...and I do want to appologize for what seemed to be overcritisism.... I did enjoy the video very much..and like it has been said..perhaps in todays technolical era..we do expect more. Sorry to sound so negative, It really was not inteded to be that way.. Perhaps in the future, some of our many EAAers that work in the video field (news cameraman, movie industry) may want to volunteer.. Not so much as the actual cameraperson, but maybe offer advice and guidence to make the video seem to flow better.. I do have to admit, it seems as though the camera was 'parked' for peroids and made it difficult to follow the EAA Radio commentary.. Again..I think the actual quality of the cameras used is excellent.. and thank you gentlemen, and perhaps some ladies also, for making this happen.. Sorry for the seeminly negative post earlier..

Its important to manage expectations of the technology....and resources available...If I had an hour of your time, I could explain to you exactly all the steps it took to have webcams for the runways and now an actual "manned" camera to follow the airshow (it took twice that time for it to be explained to me by someone who works in this area). The first runway cam was a camcorder sitting on a shelf in EAA Radio...EAA has come so far...from what I have been told...getting connectivity between all these far-flung buildings that are dormant for 11 months out of the year is half the battle. As for sponsorship, I understand that capability has always been there but there has been a lack of imagination in some decision-making areas.

Those of you folks that are complaining about the coverage, just stop it. If you want a guaranteed view of the air show, then go. If you can not make it, then accept everything this guys and girls do as a gift. Accept it graciously, say thank you and enjoy. It appears as though these feeds are free to all(I could be wrong,but I have not had to log in as an EAA member). This is not a multi feed broadcast designed specifically to replace being at Airventure, these are feeds that have a primary purpose of gathering images/video of the event for future use. The guys and gals have been kind enough to let us piggy back on them to give those of us who cannot be there something to feel as though we are. Even if it is not perfect, I for one am thoroughly gratefully for their efforts.

To those of you having problems accessing the cams, here's what I have found. Please note, I am not an IT guru, just doing reseach to solve my access problems. The video is sent using real time messaging protocal, tunneled (rtmpt), on port 80. You may see this info if you are seeing a "Server Not Found" error statement. Because rtmpt is frequently used to bypass firewalls, many network administrators will block rtmpt. Possible options include: adjusting your firewall settings, asking your network administrator to allow rtmpt, politely asking those providing the service if they could please use a different protocol and/or port for sending the streaming video, or as a last resort, hopping in you plane or car and head to Oshkosh!

I'm going to assume your comments were not meant as a slight on my professionalism and just keep plugging away. Suggestions are always welcome, we are constantly trying to improve as illustrated by completely redoing the entire system to support iOS and android devices this year. However every year people are asked to assist, asked to donate equipment, yet this entire operation is 2 people, and only EAA, Discovery World, the two of us and one other company have purchased, donate or loaned equipment. Actually the air show stream, which is now titled airshowandstuff on my server, is running off my personal PC taken off my desk at home. The theater presentations are brought to you by Todd's personal PC. I guess I'm saying no matter how "professional" you want to be, there are site, organizational and budget limitations that no matter how good you are there is only so much you can do within the limitations with borrowed equipment a few DSL lines installed in the middle of nowhere, and a roll of duct tape.

So, I'm done with the rant if anybody wants to discuss it further PM me and I will provide you with my personal cell number and we can talk. I'd really like to keep the thread on topic.

Speaking of "On Topic"
    we are going to knock down at least 2 of the roaming cameras during the air show to see if that lessens the connection issues with the air show stream. Yesterday we were pushing out a little over 600Mbps on all 5 streams, that may have been asking a little much from our server.

Quote Originally Posted by Machspeed View Post
    politely asking those providing the service if they could please use a different protocol and/or port for sending the streaming video, or as a last resort, hopping in you plane or car and head to Oshkosh!
    I recommend the second suggestion there is no way wecan change protocols mid week. We did extensive beta testing over the span ofabout 3 months and were unaware of a single person that had issues. The reasonwe use rtmp over http, is that most firewalls don't block it. If your adminsare blocking it, for one, there is probably a good reason, and two I doubt anyother live stream would make it through either.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hayden View Post
    I'm going to assume your comments were not meant as a slight on my professionalism and just keep plugging away.

Speaking of "On Topic"
    we are going to knock down at least 2 of the roaming cameras during the air show to see if that lessens the connection issues with the air show stream. Yesterday we were pushing out a little over 600Mbps on all 5 streams, that may have been asking a little much from our server.
    Paul.
    I hope that was not a response to my suggestion of a sponsor, sponsoring a Professional Broadcast Crew, to provide the streaming content. IN NO WAY, was it meant to imply that you, and your team are not "Professional".
    I fully appreciate all the volunteer time & efforts you, and your team put into providing these feeds.

---------------

As far as the 600Mbps bandwidth on "your server" -- not sure what you mean by "your server", but I assume it must be a Data center Server somewhere ? Video stream services like BITGRAVITY or USTREAM, or even JUSTIN.TV can provide streams in excess of 1Mbps. Maybe there is some opportunity to get sponsorship from one of these services during EAA Venture.

Geoff

We have a donated server in Discovery World's maintelecom room. From there its a 1 gig fiber to the University of WI - Milwaukeeand 10 gig to the internet. All the bandwidth is donated by DW as well. Ourguidelines from EAA were, it had to be affordable, it had to be 3rd partycommercial free, and it had to be embedded into an EAA hosted web page withanalytics. Any major fundraising and sponsorship for the streams has to behandled directly by EAA. When we were looking at a way to provide iOS android supportI did look at some of those services and Livestream as well. Last year westreamed 14 TB total, for the 7 show days, for $0. A rough equivalent on Livestream usinghardware encoders would have been $7,000 minimum.

Earlier I was talking about location issues as well. We had to do all sorts ofcrazy things to get the largest data connection available out to these remotelocations. Yep, our only option is a whopping 750k up DSL which due to thelocations are really between 600K and 670K. A 500K stream is about all that isgoing to come out with any reliability or loosing frames.

we are going to kill the Ultralight and Warbird cameras until the end of the airshow to provide more available bandwidth to air show (and stuff) viewers.
    Last edited by Paul Hayden; 07-24-2012 at 02:06 PM.