Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Accomodation

2012 Accomodation

Suggestions with accomodation needed. Wife and I are coming to Oshkosh for the first time from Australia and struggling to find reasonable accomodation. Is Green Bay to far to travel each day as there is reasonably priced accom there or do we pay more and stay in Fond du lac to be closer. Appleton appears to be booked solid. Difficult decission having never been to that part of the world before and want it to be a great week all round. Any suggestions appreciated.

Green Bay is too far.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Green Bay is too far.
    Not really.

I used to live near Janesville, WI, which is twice the distance from Oshkosh than Green Bay is (110 miles vs. ~ 50 miles). Most years I would drive back and forth from Janesville to Airventure each day for two or three days. All I had to do was follow Hwy. 26, which goes through Janesville and ends at KOSH. On those days, I tromped part of the flight line, visited manufacturers booths, watched arrivals and departures, went to a forum or two, watched the air show and left after most of the transient visitors had already departed. Then I did the same thing the next day.
    Bill

Personally, I would stay in Fond Du Lac. However, it all depends on how you value your time. Both are easy drives via highway.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Allow me to add a 3rd option- staying on the field in Camp Scholler. This is the large (40,000 or so population) campsite that is owned and controlled by EAA. It is located adjacent to the convention grounds and is walking distance from it. Accommodations can be as simple as a tent (bring it with you or buy locally) and as fancy as a travel trailer camper with water and electric. There are services that rent campers for the week, and they deliver and set them up for you, ready for your arrival. This is not inexpensive, but neither is staying in a hotel during that week, so you might find the cost to be reasonable. The facilities, while not 5 star, are very good for a campground. There is a large camp store where you can buy food, beverages, toiletries, pretty much anything you could need. One could comfortably stay for the entire week and never set foot off the airport grounds. There is even a laundry service. Info about all of this is available on the Airventure website.

Alternatively, there are several privately owned campsites that are also adjacent to the field, and offer similar amenities.

There are many advantages to staying on the field, not the least of which is avoiding the lost time and stress of driving in/ out every day. There is so much going on at night that you miss if you stay elsewhere. Theater in the Woods programs, fly-in movie theater, all the various social gatherings, the world-famous SOS brothers beer tent, the friendly South African compound, etc etc. On the other end, sunrise over the field is a site to behold, one of many reasons to be there early in the morning (not to mention sweet rolls from the Sacred Heart food stand, or eggs and pancakes at Tall Pines.)
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Depending on your relative "need" for comfort, there's also the University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh dorms. Very affordable, but also typical dorms. As in, the shower / toilets are in a communal area, not ensuite. The air-conditioned dorms are full-up, but most folks make-do with a window fan. Very safe and convenient. The city bus has dedicated runs from the mess hall direct to the bus park at AirVenture. There's also a large contingent of your fellow countrymen who stay at the dorms.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Green Bay has some other attractions if you're interested like the shrine of American football, Lambeau Field, home of the Packers. There's also a nice railroad museum. It is about a 1 hour drive each way though.
    Closer places can easily be found. Have you considered a private house? Http://www.visitoshkosh.org/eaa-lodging.html has most of the available locations listed. For 2 people, a room rental would probably make sense. That's they way I stayed the past several years. Most homes have air conditioning most dorms lack too.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Depending on your relative "need" for comfort, there's also the University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh dorms. Very affordable, but also typical dorms. As in, the shower / toilets are in a communal area, not ensuite. The air-conditioned dorms are full-up, but most folks make-do with a window fan. Very safe and convenient. The city bus has dedicated runs from the mess hall direct to the bus park at AirVenture. There's also a large contingent of your fellow countrymen who stay at the dorms.
    When I checked two months ago, those were all booked already. Gotta plan about a year in advance for those, it seems.

The last trip to Oshkosh I flew my plane into Austin-Straubel airport in Green Bay and got a rental car and drove back and forth to Oshkosh each day. It is very doable. You'll have a good selection of hotels and resturants in Green Bay without having to deal with the congestion of people around the Oshkosh area. With that said, I think I'm going to try camping with my airplane on the grounds at AirVenture this year.

Fon du Lac is really good to stay, if you can find a place. Prices are high, since there is so much demand. It is easy to get to EAA from FLD , there is even a bus from the airport each hour. Green Bay is a long ways north.

What do you consider "reasonably priced accomodation"? This is the busiest week in the area and they price it accordingly. At the Hol Inn in FLDwhich has been sold out since last year it is $280 for a room that is normally $119.
    There is at least one room in a house in Osh for $140 on the EAA housing site, may also be ones in FLD.
    Camping can be okay, but there is not much privacy, only communal showers, and can be hot or wet, or even very nice if you like a lot of people.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-18-2012 at 07:12 PM.