Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Aviation, Starting a Homebuilt Project, I'm in need of prefessional opinions.

I agree with wood and fabric as easy and fast(er) than some types. I prefer ease of
    That was part of my consideration as to why I originally went with wood and fabric wings on my LSA design. It's also much easier to convince my father-in-law to let me cut and shape wood than it is to go "Hey, do you mind if I weld in your garage?"
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

"Building is great fun. I wish my Dad had done something like that with me. There are many life lessons to be learned along with the mechanical skills.
    Ralph
    Building Murphy 611E "
    Exactly!

Good points, I've been considering options. Now that my wife has gotten involved and anticipate my son to be a teenager before completion, I've been looking at options to comfortably fit us all. I've been looking at the RV10, Pulsar KIS Cruiser, Express, Pro-Composites Freedom, and a few others.

I'm still favoring Composite construction, Im not crazy about the Fabric covered vehicles, although it may be quicker, speed isn't my priority.
    What I'm reading about Last-a-foam is making me question its safty. Now Im confident in the safer, and more expensive alternative (but lighter) Divinycell PVC Foam. Although I am curious about how it is to work with.

RV10 is an awesome craft but I dont like the initial investment cost, and all the riviting of the sheet metal. To finance that, I might as well buy a cessna. And that's not what I'm trying to accomplish

What I really want a "plans built" craft. thats the reason I am favoring the "Freedom" by Pro-Composites It fits my requirments and has room to grow.
    http://pro-composites.com/FreedomProject/index.htm
    Unfortunally none have flown yet. So it's again, unknown territory. But It's the only one I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontuntland View Post
    Good points, I've been considering options. Now that my wife has gotten involved and anticipate my son to be a teenager before completion, I've been looking at options to comfortably fit us all. I've been looking at the RV10, Pulsar KIS Cruiser, Express, Pro-Composites Freedom, and a few others.

RV10 is an awesome craft but I dont like the initial investment cost, and all the riviting of the sheet metal. To finance that, I might as well buy a cessna. And that's not what I'm trying to accomplish
    There is no comparison between an RV-10 and a Cessna, other than the build time. You can build a RV-10 significantly less than the cost of a new Cessna. The RV-10 has more room and better performance that most of the Cessna models as well. There are plenty available that are already built, but thay will bring up other issues and concerns.

You may want to take a look at the RV-14 if all you really need is two seats. The construction will be much simpllier and quicker than the previous RV models. The first kit will be available in the fall.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Bob, first of all, very nice work on your RV-10. Superb! I envy.
    I'm not trying to make a comparison between the aircraft, just stating that the initial investment is so much it would be difficult to swallow. 50k minus engine and avionics.ouch. I could buy something older and used and get in the air real fast for that money. It would be a inferior vechicle, sure.
    I do really need a 4 place though, With what I have planned for it.

I learned very quickly that being frugal wasn't always the best option and made some sacrifices to being able to build the RV.. I had a Cherokee 180 and my wife flew in it one time. She complained about it being too cramped and inadequate air flow. She refused to fly again in the Cherokee after that first trip. After taking her up in a friends RV-10, she loves it. she is now actively planning flying trips once we are out of phase 1. Fortunately, I paid for it over a six year period. Everyone has different priorities, but mine were pretty clear. Tighten the belt and figure out how to get it paid for.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler