Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Aviation, Starting a Homebuilt Project, I'm in need of prefessional opinions.

Maybe someone at the EAA Museum would consider a display of cockpit mock-ups so that visitors to the museum could "try on" different aircraft designs? It would be a nice addition. It's possible too that a KR owner on the flight line might help with advice and a sizing. AirVenture is absolutely the best place to see a variety of designs.
    The journey is the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by prasmussen View Post
    Maybe someone at the EAA Museum would consider a display of cockpit mock-ups so that visitors to the museum could "try on" different aircraft designs? It would be a nice addition. It's possible too that a KR owner on the flight line might help with advice and a sizing. AirVenture is absolutely the best place to see a variety of designs.
    Isn't that what the North Exhibit area, just south of Warbirds is all about? All the kitbuilders showing their wares?

I suspect the real issue is that many of these vendors don't have the revenue to support showing their products at Airventure. It also probably why most of the older designs are acquired by Aircraft Spruce.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Well, not to whiz in your wheaties, but have you considered that the boy will be growing while you build the plane. You might want to take that in consideration- if I recall right (been awhile since I've looked it up) the KR weighs in the neighborhood of 500 lbs empty, with a gross weight of under a thousand. Toss in other considerations (such as the tendency to not being able to build as light as the designer, for example) and you may wind up with a plane that can seat 2 200 lb adults, but no fuel, etc!

BTW, took a quick look at the "super KR2" page. Specs look OK, but one line did catch my eye- "This page captures the design intent and the design analysis performed on the Super2. This aircraft is still under construction so has not been flight test, therefore all of the data supplied here is theoretical." Since they haven't actually flown yet, it's impossible to say whether or not it will meet your needs

There is a book titled Kitplane Construction by Ron Wanttaja (TAB Books) which is, I think, still in print. It spends the first 100 pages helping with the decisions about size, materials etc. and I found it very helpful. Lots of pictures for your kid too.

As a former health and safety guy I have to mention that maybe not enough time is spent on selecting a material for your project that you (and your family) will want to live with for the next few years. Shiny paint makes me shudder.

Best of luck, this will be an exciting time for you and your son.
    Last edited by prasmussen; 07-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    The journey is the reward.

If you are new to aviation I suggest you look at the Kit Planes magazine list of available kits. Also, take a trip with your boy to the Light Plane Exibition in Sebring, Sun & Fun in Lakeland, or Oshkosh to see what is available and talk to those kit suppliers who can answer your questions. Spend some time thinking about what your "mission" actually will be in terms of use. Don't pick a kit and then try to make it fit you. The expense in terms of money and time is too great to short yourself on the preliminary planning. Try to pick a kit that has firewall forward data for whatever engine you settle on.

Building is great fun. I wish my Dad had done something like that with me. There are many life lessons to be learned along with the mechanical skills.
    Ralph
    Building Murphy 611E

Quote Originally Posted by prasmussen View Post
    There is a book titled Kitplane Construction by Ron Wanttaja (TAB Books) which is, I think, still in print. It spends the first 100 pages helping with the decisions about size, materials etc. and I found it very helpful. Lots of pictures for your kid too.
    It's also available through many Public Libraries, too. Though making notes in the margins is frowned upon... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Maybe something easier?

I was exactly in the situation you're in now. I did a ton of research and still made a bunch of mistakes that turned what could have been done in 18 months into a 7 year build. I even built a corvair for the plane, which turned out to be too heavy for W/B, despite what the aircraft designer published. I ended up using a C85-8 (good little engine). So, here's my two (or three) cents. Build a simple wood and fabric 2 seater, keep it VFR day. Use a simple, reliable aircraft engine. They're cheaper than you think and will give good service longer than most airframes will last. The reason I say wood and fabric is that until it's time to paint it's a nice smelling and non-toxic process, plus it's fast.

I agree with wood and fabric as easy and fast(er) than some types. I prefer ease of Oops with wood over a metal panel that cuts me while not being cut right. Many have had epoxy sensitivity that literally stopped the project of an all composite plane.
    RE Smell: Actually even when covering/painting it isn't too bad if you go the Stewarts Route. http://www.stewartsystems.aero/default.aspx
    N202LH in the build.

Look at Fisher Flying Products.......