Thread: New to Aviation, Starting a Homebuilt Project, I'm in need of prefessional opinions.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to Aviation, Starting a Homebuilt Project, I'm in need of prefessional opinions.

I'm an experianced automotive/Heavy duty Diesel Technician, familiar with almost anything mechanical. However I'm new to aviation and composite materials. And I would appreciate some direction from experianced aviation enthusist.

I'm looking for a small plans built plane that I can mostly build in my garage, with my son. So that needs to fit 2.

I've been looking into the Rand Robinson KR-2. It seems to meet my needs and it's specs are appealing to me.
    Does anyone have experiance with this aircraft?
    I like the idea of the Corvair engine, and low cost and it's fuel economony makes it affordable.

I'm considering constructing it from all composites using a PVC Divinycell foam core, fiberglass, and epoxy resin.
    I've been trying to find recommended procedure for using the PVC foam core but havent found one. Anybody have experience here?
    Should I be vacume bagging components?

A guy has been constructing one www.krsuper2.com. Can anyone tell me if his design and building techniques are legitiment?
    I'd like to follow his direction. I like the modern version of the KR-2.

Any information about these is appreciated.
    Last edited by jasontuntland; 07-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.