Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any improvement to cell coverage for this year's AirVenture?

Oh. Sorry.

I figured you hadn't seen the page because it says right on it:

(2012 map coming soon)

@dmbleess - actually I didn't see that little "coming soon" note. Thanks.

As was noted by another poster, the 2012 map will be upload quite soon (just reviewed the final version the other day). It will have all Wi-Fi locations marked. No significant changes this year from last. We did add a few more hotspots.

As for the COWs, AT&T had one unit last year. They're adding a second one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by John Carrier View Post
    As for the COWs, AT&T had one unit last year. They're adding a second one this year.
    Thanks, John; good to hear that.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Thanks, John, for the update.

I was expecting nothing from EAA other than a nudge to the providers basically saying, "Hey, we've got 100,000 folks here. How you gonna handle that?".

I guess I was expecting a bit better support from the providers; it seems that other similar events like the Super Bowl, just about any MLB baseball game, NASCAR race, etc. has decent coverage - and things like NASCAR happen at a given track with about the same frequency of AirVenture.

While data would be great, my concern is that I can't call another AT&T customer. Yeah, I'm whining that I want to be able to coordinate lunch with my wife.

Good point about the infrastructure. I *think* you're meaning that even if they have enough towers, there's not enough trunk line capacity to MKE or Chicago to support the volume of calls / data. I can understand how *that* would limit things - again, good point.

Thanks again for the update and some insight into the challenges. I can appreciate you trying to pull all this together.
    Carl-

I'm with Sprint and I can tell you unequivocally that Mr. Carrier and his team have more than tried to "NUDGE" the carriers. I was at the Round-table in January along with our Area Network Performance Manager for Wisconsin. We have made a major CAPEX into the area with additional capacity to the three towers that we have that service the immediate service area of KOSH. This year, and building off what we added last year, we have added COW's to address potential capacity issues.

Its a problem, all the carriers agree and continue to respond. John is doing the best that he can on behalf of the attendee's. He has the majority of the carriers attention.

AT&T worked well for me this year, iPhone 4 and iPad 3. Data was slow some times, and my company's overzealous security wouldn't let me in, but I expected that! Better connections on the phone this year than ever before. Last year my wife had a "free" phone from AT&T and she had horrible luck.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

My AT&T coverage was much better, as well. Now, if they could just improve it on the west side of town where we rent the house for the week... Kind of funny that it was easier to talk to my wife via Face Time over the WiFi at the rental...
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Ditto for me on AT&T. Much better service this year. My verizon 4g mifi also worked pretty good. Even connected to 4g a few times.Gets better each year.

My Nextel radio was great, never had a glitch at all. The phone part on it worked great as well.

T-Mobile coverage was, at best, random. I camped in HBC this year and my old school phone would go from 0 to 4 bars within 15 minutes without moving the phone. In prior years, there was no T-Mobile in the area so I guess that's an improvement.