Hi all,

Just joined the forums after seeing this question.....I can definitely answer. I am a Instrument rated PPL and next in line to be owner of our family sign shop - and what we deal with is 99% cut vinyl and digitally printed graphics. To answer your question.....yes it is possible to wrap a plane with quality results. Our shop does about 25-30 full wraps a year - mostly on commercial vehicles, trailers, cars, kiosks, walls, & even a Harley Davidson. I would LOVE to wrap a plane. There are a variety of manufacturers out there for wrap vinyl. Everyone knows of course - 3M, which is the MOST expensive out there, however have worked with enough other materials that have the same or better results at literally almost half the price. We typically use Arlon DPF6000XRP. Most all wrap vinyls nowadays have air egress technology built into them which allows the vinyl to breathe and not have any bubbles or wrinkles when applied properly. It works very well with very complex curves, rivets, corrugations, etc. It has a repositionable, pressure-sensitive adhesive that has an outdoor durability of 7-10 years and clean removability of 4 years without heat, and with a little heat after 4 years still comes off cleanly.

Wrap material in general is about 4-6 mils in total thickness. The printed Arlon with UV lamination is only 4 mils thick. Unless the material has lifted for some reason, it will not "just come off in flight." Do a search on Youtube for an airliner wrap....you will find several.....mostly using 3M - handles high speeds, high altitudes, cold temps, pressurization, etc. A recent article I read in a trade magazine, a wrap was done on a solar car and it shaved off 15lbs versus the weight of a paint job. It will adhere to raw aluminum, steel, other metals, etc. Sealed fiberglass, I have not tested myself....if it was coated with a decent primer, should adhere perfectly fine.

Being left outside in the sun daily is not an issue. I have my personal car wrapped and it has no issues. It will be 7-10 years before it starts to peel, crack, or lift. The printed parts have a durability of 5-7 years before they start to fade with proper lamination. There are no "touch-ups" with vinyl. If it's not new.....it's replaced when it fades, peels, or cracks.

In terms of someone installing it, find a wrap or sign company that does wraps. And is either comfortable working on a aircraft, has some familiarity of one, or has wrapped a plane before. In USD, you can expect in the neighborhood of $12-17/sq ft depending on material, coverage, installer, etc for a complete wrap installed. Generally, design is handled separately. And if you're considering trying it yourself.......don't. It will be one very expensive mistake and should be left to a professional to install.