Thread: Auction

EAA Museum Auction

Hello, I heard that the EAA Museum will be having a silent auction like event to sell excess from the museum storage. Is there any truth behind this?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Graham; 07-01-2012 at 08:08 PM.

I don't see why it would not be true. EAA usually disposes of a lot of donated items for cash. When Joe Sport Pilot donates his homebuilt it's usually stripped and the parts of value are sold. The stripped out fuselage of some donated airplanes are set up during Airventure for kids to play on.

I suppose in many cases the parts will fetch more money separately than the assembled airplane, but it seems a shame to scrap a member's blood, sweat and tears. Still, cash is king.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

but it seems a shame to scrap a member's blood, sweat and tears
    I agree but I can also see why a lot of folks would be hesitant to pay (as much) for a partially built aircraft from someone they don't know.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Yes, it is true. Here is the news release: http://airventure.org/news/2012/120619_museumsale.html

Most all museums do this to keep their collections focused and in check. Otherwise before you know it your museum is a feature on "Hoarders: Buried Alive!"
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    but it seems a shame to scrap a member's blood, sweat and tears.
    Most donated airplanes include a clause that they will never fly again but you're right and I'd never donate an airplane knowing that's what will happen.

When an aircraft is donated to the museum, the Curator of Collections has a discussion with the donor about what could happen with the aircraft - exhibit, restoration, sold as surplus, etc. Most folks have a pretty good understanding of what is happening to their aircraft when they donate something to the AirVenture Museum. It's not at all as though the museum staff accept an aircraft into the collection with the understanding that it will be on permanent exhibit, only to turn around at the first opportunity and sell it to make a buck for the EAA coffers. There are a strict set of museum ethics, rules, and standards that we abide by here at the AirVenture Museum.

There are a strict set of museum ethics, rules, and standards that we abide by here at the AirVenture Museum.
    It's a pretty standard practice to sell off things that are just "taking up space" and don't have clear and direct value historically or scientifically. One of my friends now has a partial Protoceratops skull he picked up at a silent auction a few years back from one of the natural history museums as they decided that they didn't need 20+ of the darn things taking up space in the storage area. It makes a rather effective doorstop.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.