Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe to fly with fireworks??

Hmm.... very interesting info, Bob. Thanks for the write-up!

In some parts of the world you are required to have pyrotechnic flares as part of the mandated survival equipment.
    Normal procedure would be to carry them in a steel container (aluminium melts far too easily).

Personally, I would regard it as an inessential hazard and find some other alternative.

In some parts of the world you are required to have pyrotechnic flares as part of the mandated survival equipment.
    The bigger question is why wouldn't you be carrying a couple of them if you're doing anything besides just a few circuits around the pattern? I've always viewed them as mandatory even when I just flew an ultralight.

Normal procedure would be to carry them in a steel container (aluminium melts far too easily).
    If you're still in the aircraft and the aluminum melts, you're probably beyond the point of worrying. Steel would make more sense given that the flare is less likely to penetrate when it does cook off finally. I used an old ammo can (painted bright orange) on board the ultralight I flew to keep all of my "survival gear" ready to go should I need it. It once came loose from its mounting while in the pattern to land. The 500+ foot fall to the ground dented the can but the flares didn't deploy and the can was still usable after a touch-up regarding the paint.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Sure it's okay.

Indeed, it's historically correct!

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

According to the AOPA web site it's not OK.

They have a front page article about this on their web site today.

Importance to Members
    The U.S. Department of Transportation, Title 49 CFR, governs and is the regulatory authority for the transportation of all hazardous materials in commerce, on public highways and waterways and in the airspace of the United States. This includes the regulatory guidance of transportation of such materials by private aircraft, air taxi/charter, and airline passengers and all cargo operations under FAR Parts 91, 121, and 135.
    The transportation of any defined hazardous material by private general aviation aircraft, while not totally prohibited (note that many materials are, in fact, prohibited), does carry certain risks and should not be considered, unless absolutely necessary.
    Quick Points
    · Gasoline – Aviation and auto fuel may be transported by air in certain quantities and containers.
    · Ammunition – Small-arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in his/her baggage is permitted if securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    · Fireworks – Are prohibited from being transported by air as they are classed as explosives and pyrotechnic devices.
    As always, feel free to call AOPA's Pilot Information Center at 800/USA-AOPA (872-2672) with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by lkorona View Post

Umm... well, I made it safe!

By tomorrow night, they will all be gone, so no worries for the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by lkorona View Post

Importance to Members
    The U.S. Department of Transportation, Title 49 CFR, governs and is the regulatory authority for the transportation of all hazardous materials in commerce, on public highways and waterways and in the airspace of the United States. This includes the regulatory guidance of transportation of such materials by private aircraft, air taxi/charter, and airline passengers and all cargo operations under FAR Parts 91, 121, and 135.
    The transportation of any defined hazardous material by private general aviation aircraft, while not totally prohibited (note that many materials are, in fact, prohibited), does carry certain risks and should not be considered, unless absolutely necessary.
    Quick Points
    · Gasoline – Aviation and auto fuel may be transported by air in certain quantities and containers.
    · Ammunition – Small-arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in his/her baggage is permitted if securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    · Fireworks – Are prohibited from being transported by air as they are classed as explosives and pyrotechnic devices.
    As always, feel free to call AOPA's Pilot Information Center at 800/USA-AOPA (872-2672) with questions.
    Explosives pyrotechnics are prohibited from being transported? I don't think that statement is accurate. CFR 49 is availkable on line as an e-reg. Instructions are provided for transporting just about everything. Including explosives. In part 91,121 and 135 aircraft. I found instructions for transporting nuclear bombs in CFR 49. Just follow the cook book.

I flew 135 for 25 years carrying passengers and cargo for the oil and gas industry. Its legal to carry explosives in the same aircraft with a dozen passengers aboard. Likewise, radioactive material. And its blessed by the Security Division of FAA. The big thing is the packaging and labeling.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Explosives pyrotechnics are prohibited from being transported? I don't think that statement is accurate. CFR 49 is availkable on line as an e-reg. Instructions are provided for transporting just about everything. Including explosives. In part 91,121 and 135 aircraft. I found instructions for transporting nuclear bombs in CFR 49. Just follow the cook book.

I flew 135 for 25 years carrying passengers and cargo for the oil and gas industry. Its legal to carry explosives in the same aircraft with a dozen passengers aboard. Likewise, radioactive material. And its blessed by the Security Division of FAA. The big thing is the packaging and labeling.

Bob
    Sure they can be carried BUT provided you follow the guidelines which I'm sure also involves paperwork, permits and special packaging. You just can't put them in the back of the plane and take off. For all practical reasons, flying with your family under Part 91 ops with fireworks is not to be done. That's the message that AOPA was trying to send out.

I will support the poster above who described carrying hazardous stuff. AOPA is being politically correct, not factual. If you read the rules you will find that there is a big hole where an individual can move personal stuff between airports that are not "air carrier" airports. But then, there is an argument that AOPA members all fly personal jets between large airports. Anyway, for your entertrainment, go look for rules that cover attaching pyro to aircraft and flying a show.

All of that said, if you don't know how to handle the material, please don't mess with it. Every 4th of July we see news stories about folks who hurt themselves. I will note that the fireworks companies are always looking for grunt labor and there are avenues into that workforce for folks who want to learn how its done and think that standing really near a rack of 200 or more mortars in the dark as flames ripple down the mouths of the rows of guns as the night sky fills with color is a cool way to spend an evening after a hard day's labor setting up. Bring a hard hat, hearing protection, and gloves. Not for sissies.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

Sure, hauling dynamite, TNT, C-4, Semtex is no big deal. Wouldn't put dentonators in the same box, would light any fuses but unless the dynamite is sweating not an insurmountable hazard.