Thread: Forum Planning / Porting to mobile device

Forum Planning / Porting to mobile device

Hi, All;

Let's face it - I prefer to do most of my work on a desktop or laptop where I have a decent keyboard and monitor to play with.

That said, I've selected most of my week's forum desires on my desktop, and have "saved my selections."

I really don't want to have to re-search and select on my iPhone / AirVenture 2012 by Sporty's app.

Is there anyway I can port my saved selections from my desktop to my phone? Or even just export them to Excel? There's no CSV-type export feature that I know of...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

No I don't know. Why not just get the free app & have it available? You can delete it as soon as Airventure is over.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    About the only thing that comes to mind, Carl, would be to open the page with your itinerary, and either copy and past the text into a Word doc or some other format you can view on your phone, or you could use your browser and actually save the .html file itself.

Getting these things - the web-based schedule tool and the mobile app - to talk to each other is definitely on our list of future improvements.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I made up my itinerary last night and printed it to a PDF, which is readable on my Android phone.

Hal, I was going to wait on this feedback until after Oshkosh (since you guys have plenty to think about right now), but is the forum data available for third parties to access and make their own front end for? If not, can it be in the future? I assume the Sporty's app would have such access.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I made up my itinerary last night and printed it to a PDF, which is readable on my Android phone.

Hal, I was going to wait on this feedback until after Oshkosh (since you guys have plenty to think about right now), but is the forum data available for third parties to access and make their own front end for? If not, can it be in the future? I assume the Sporty's app would have such access.
    Ahh, printing to a .PDF is another great idea. More elegant than my copy/paste suggestion, certainly.

As for the data being publicly available, beyond what's published on the web, not currently. We have an agreement in place with Sporty's and have provided the data to them directly. That being said, there's at least one clever programmer out there who has done his own front-end based off of scraping the data directly from the web:

http://www.oshplanner.com/

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Ahh, printing to a .PDF is another great idea. More elegant than my copy/paste suggestion, certainly.

As for the data being publicly available, beyond what's published on the web, not currently. We have an agreement in place with Sporty's and have provided the data to them directly. That being said, there's at least one clever programmer out there who has done his own front-end based off of scraping the data directly from the web:

http://www.oshplanner.com/

Thanks for the link, Hal! I'll check it out this evening (hitting the road Thursday - not much time left to plan).

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Getting these things - the web-based schedule tool and the mobile app - to talk to each other is definitely on our list of future improvements.
    Great, Hal; Thanks!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton