Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Admission cost went up.

I understand paying for tie down fee's at the airport to park for the day.But,$9:00,to park your car for the day,no services needed or provided.With that fee,you should get cold water,and shuttle service to the main gate,and kids parking you that aren't so hateful'As for "the land being paid for";a person would think that EAA was trying to pay a loan on the parking lot off.

bbartonb;

Not attacking you at all; just saying that for those of us in major metro areas, $9 is a bargain. Try parking at a Dallas Cowboys game: $75 (and, no water, no shuttle, no help, no nuthin'...). Or a Texas Ranger's game ($12-17) (same level of non-service). And, yes, I *do* understand that in many parts of the country free / $2 parking does continue; I'm just jealous...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

With parking prices approaching 2 digits, I hope they'll be getting fast-food type credit card readers to speed things up. I would guess the main issue would be getting data service to the toll booths, but if there's service for scanning prepaid parking then that shouldn't be too much higher a load. Run it through the cell network with the best capacity on site (Sprint?)

Again BB, each thing at Airventure is NOT an independent cost center. In fact I suspect your car parking is subsidizing the cost of parking airplanes on the field because people don't come to the show to look at cars.

The parking, admission, camping, advertising, and cut from the food revenues go into a pot, out comes the expenses of running the show and the result runs the EAA and the EAA Foundation hopefully for another year. Each subgroup within Airventure goes to the show planning and lobbies for both money and the non-monetary (vehicles, comped registrations/camping, etc...) for their respective group.

It's been a few years since I looked on the books but the show in a good year makes about a million on a five million gross (I can't remember if that is for each the EAA and the foundation or that is the total). 2010 was a disaster. Revenue was down and the expenses were higher...
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 07-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.

All the cell carriers suck badly at AirVenture. They've not quite figured out how to up the capacity for the show over the normal sleepy Oshkosh environment. The EAA is doing a bit better setting up their own WIFI I think.

The price for one day may be pretty high, but it cost $50 or $100 to play golf for a day, and $105, plus food, to ski at a first class montain like Aspen or Vail for one day.

The EAA weekly price of $117 seems like a bargain, about $16 per day, little more than the cost of two movies.

And I certainly don't see parking "kids being hateful."
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-03-2012 at 09:45 AM.

So the money goes into a pot,and show expeses come out of that pot;what are the expenses?I thought people voluenteered there labor?So then the money out of the pot goes to;Parking,admission,camping,etc,each is a seperate department?Just trying to understand how it works.Each one gets a "fee" for what every it is they provide?Thought that every thing was under the EAA umbrella,part of the total package.Just asking, so i can understand why the price's on everything are high?

A lot of people of volunteers. Not all are. Even the volunteers need water/gatorade, food. Do you think Port-o-lets come free? Or the trash hauling? Do you think electricity comes free? Do you think that everybody donates the materials and equipment for the buildings, the row markers, the radios, the vehicles? Have you ever put on even a SMALL fly in?

No, it doesn't work the way you envision. The things that can be charged for cover the things that can't be charged for. We're not going to let you opt out of paying for your share of the trash and port-o-let servicing, or opt out of contributing the percentage that the EAA retains to operate the other 350 days of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    All the cell carriers suck badly at Airventure...
    According to http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?185-Wireless-Services-AirVenture-2011-(Not-Wi-Fi).-Looking-for-feed-back Sprint was very good, Verizon had a few congestion problems, then there was a big quality gap down to T-Mobile, and then AT&T bringing up the rear. That's why I mentioned Sprint since I also had good service last year.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    According to http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?185-Wireless-Services-AirVenture-2011-(Not-Wi-Fi).-Looking-for-feed-back Sprint was very good, Verizon had a few congestion problems, then there was a big quality gap down to T-Mobile, and then AT&T bringing up the rear. That's why I mentioned Sprint since I also had good service last year.

Just a side note here.
    I have sprint for my personal phone, AND IT SUCKS BAD!!