Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Admission cost went up.

if you had the student loan debt of most airline pilots you'd be cheap too.

Alrighty Then.......WOW... Where to start, First, I am NOT a camper BUT I can, and I know how to spend a week or two in a tent comfortably. I have never been to Oskosh, but it has been a dream of mine since I learned to fly in 1991. I was never really interested in building or repairing my own aircraft, then something clicked. I thought ..WHY the heck not!!! So I became a member of the EAA and am still a member of AOPA (since 1991), I do not begrudge EAA for trying to make a buck or two, it only makes sense. So I paid for my entry..My Grandsons entry (9 YOA) and a full weeks camping. However even though I am unaware of a EAA chapter here at PKB (there may be, I just have not contacted them yet or even looked for them) I joined anyway. To me Oshkosh is not about the entry or the fees for workshops and such, or the cost to camp. It is about Flying...Flying any way we can, Beg, borrow or, well short of stealing, If there is something I want and it seems reasonable I have self choice, I can always say "maybe next year". But for me, Honestly, I would rather pay for a trip to Oshkosh with my Grandson than a trip to see a well aged Mouse! He wants to learn, I want to learn, although he is only 9 and a lot of stuff is not yet available to him at Oshkosh, I want HIM to make the decision for returning, Just as well I will make MY decision as to if I will return again. But listening to all the talk of how bad this is or how much that costs is really starting to annoy new people like me. I want to see a lot of Airplanes! I drive all over to see airplanes (of all types) My Granson and I LOVE Airshows. I want him to be a young Eagle, if he chooses.

But folks, to hear the griping and complaing about how much this went up or that was free last time or How miserable I was when the storm went through! Come on guys this is suppose to educational and entertaining add in some fun and throw in some new friends, this should be priceless! when a person gets to the point where they are more complaining than enjoying it is time to stop that activity, not sit on the web and gripe and groan.
    I know the economy has taken a hit, I know things go up in price....THATS LIFE!!! You have two choices, keep going and be happy that it does not (yet) cost a thousand bucks just to get in or stay home and dont screw it up for those of us who want to try to enjoy and make our own decisions. Yeah, yeah I know the good old days When everything was free or only cost a dime. Those days are gone, I went through them myself and sometime think back and say, "wow, I remember when...." and then I wake up! That is the past, NOW is the future and the future is our dreams!

So come on lighten up, it is meant to be fun like "Mouseland" But only for a few adventurous souls who have, had or want the experience!

O.k I had my say, now I intend to go and sleep in a tent for a week, Hopefully make new friends and have a lot of "good ole day" memories..with ALL of YOU!

FYI: My Grandson and I will be wearing our "this is my first time to Oskosh, Help me Please!" shirts. So say Hi! if you want to...or not.

Respectfully:
    Mike Gent, PP, SEL

Quote Originally Posted by Gently56 View Post

But folks, to hear the griping and complaing about how much this went up or that was free last time or How miserable I was when the storm went through! Come on guys this is suppose to educational and entertaining add in some fun and throw in some new friends, this should be priceless! when a person gets to the point where they are more complaining than enjoying it is time to stop that activity, not sit on the web and gripe and groan.

I know the economy has taken a hit, I know things go up in price....THATS LIFE!!! You have two choices, keep going and be happy that it does not (yet) cost a thousand bucks just to get in

So come on lighten up, it is meant to be fun like "Mouseland" But only for a few adventurous souls who have, had or want the experience!

FYI: My Grandson and I will be wearing our "this is my first time to Oskosh, Help me Please!" shirts. So say Hi! if you want to...or not.

Respectfully:
    Mike Gent, PP, SEL

Well said! The glass is still more than half full.

Bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Like I said in the "wow" thread. If you don't want it.............don't buy it!!
    How much simpler can it be?

As far as student loans, or borrowing any money for anything...........as Dave Ramsey would say, "that's just plain STUPID."

I don't know of ANY vacation I can take anywhere for the same $3000.00 total. That includes the trip to & from with my 5th wheel, my wife & 2 kids, groceries, admission fees, unbelieveable fun, "free" movies & entertainment, for 11 days (we leave Oklahoma City 4 days before the show).

The cool part is, EVERYONE has TWO choices, take it...... or leave it. Pretty simple, huh?

Read that a little closer. The spouse pays the same rate as the member (daily 27) or (weekly 115). Last year we paid 175 for member and spouse this year it is 220, these are discounted rates by purchasing early.

Well, for starters, the "discount rate" is the same as the regular admission rate, while in the past it was actually discounted.

2012 Admission Rates EAA MEMBER NON-MEMBER
    Daily Weekly Daily
    Adult $27 $115 $41

*EAA Member Spouse or Guest (limit one) $27 $115
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Sorry, new here and I'm used to paying the non-member rate so the word "discount" may mean something different to me than it does to everyone else.

In any case if I read this right I should get a ticket for myself at the $27 rate, and I should be able to buy another ticket for 1 guest at the $27 rate right? I'm planning to go to Osh this year again and would like to know if the prices on the website are outdated or not. Thanks

Just a comment of paying for parking (on already amortized property.) Every year, EAA improves the grounds, making things more convenient for everyone. This includes improvement to the campgrounds, new buildings, repair and modernization of old buildings, new tram service, etc. That is quite a lot of capital investment for something that only runs a little more than a week every year. Personally, I appreciate the improvements and understand that they have to be paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Just a comment of paying for parking (on already amortized property.) Every year, EAA improves the grounds, making things more convenient for everyone. This includes improvement to the campgrounds, new buildings, repair and modernization of old buildings, new tram service, etc. That is quite a lot of capital investment for something that only runs a little more than a week every year. Personally, I appreciate the improvements and understand that they have to be paid for.
    Agree. EAA has a lot of overhead that is mostly paid for during one week of the year. That drives high prices. I can live with that.

Here's the thing, though:

EAA is making pretty large money grab between admission prices for members, elimination of the spouse discount, for rent chalets, etc.

The question on the table is "Why?".

Like so many of the other things which have happened in the last year, there has been ZERO communication regarding what the EAA's current strategy is and why so many apple carts are being upset with no apparent explanation. This administration has done a lot of things I don't understand, but if they would explain their strategy and the forces which are driving that strategy, some of it might make sense and might meet with more member approval. Instead, they have failed miserably in that area. They have neither sold the new direction or even bothered to try explain it, pitiful press releases notwithstanding...