Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Admission cost went up.

Admission cost went up.

In years past the members spouse got a discounted rate, not this year, full price.

Admission Cost Went Up

I have been to OSH seven times in the past; due to spouse's health I cannot go again for the foreseeable future. But as to admission costs, it is obvious that AOPA, EAA, and AARP have (probably due to financial necessity) now all become "money machines" I do belong to all three but lament the ever increasing emphasis on money they need/want/must have.

Wilfred

Yes,the admission has gotten out of hand.But to me ,the thing that get's me the most;$9.00 to park,I thought the land was already paid for?

I cannot afford Oshkosh any more, this is because of the 50% price rise for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by BBARTONB View Post
    $9.00 to park,I thought the land was already paid for?
    Is that just for cars, or do they charge for aircraft to park too? (Just curious, as I've always paid for aircraft camping)

My Osh trip this year looks about like this:

50% airfare

10% food

20% rental car + gas

20% to EAA - that is camping + show admission

For that I'm getting 4 solid days of all the classes / forums / presentations I can possibly fit in, as well as seeing all of the new aircraft - and probably won't even get to see all the other products / vendors because I'm a sucker for the forums. If anything, it's kind of sad how much of my trip cost is NOT going to putting on the show.Y'all must have missed that the price change had two big reasons behind it - address the complaint that pricing was too complicated, and the idea (real or imagined) that more than a few people were just taking advantage of the "spouse" price. Given the breakdown of my trip above, a few bucks more for a spouse ticket isn't a deal breaker. Double the airfare - that was the deal breaker this time...
    Last edited by Eric Witherspoon; 06-30-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: formatting only
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

I may be totally off base--but one of the reasons they raised the spouse ticket----there were a lot of cheap SOBs that would go to registration and buy a normal ticket and a spouce and a student ticket--they go back and give them to the other 2 guys that flew up in the plane with them---
    NOW they could be a couple of gay pilots that are married--but I bet they are probably airline pilots !! ( known for being cheap)
    So don't get mad at EAA--get mad at the guys that were cheating the system
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    ...I bet they are probably airline pilots !! (known for being cheap)
    Hahaha! So true. Just the other day I was upset because the Starbucks in KPHX Terminal 4 no longer offers an employee discount!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

No charge for airplane parking, just camping.
    What does the "land" being paid for have to do with anything. You think that each item you have to pay for at Oshkosh is it's own cost center?

Quote Originally Posted by BBARTONB View Post
    Yes,the admission has gotten out of hand.But to me ,the thing that get's me the most;$9.00 to park,I thought the land was already paid for?
    That's funny right there.......