Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SNF vs Copperstate?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    I've heard some people come from as far away as Colorado, just for the deviled eggs.
    You can have them Zack. Deviled eggs are one of the few things that the smell of makes me want to vomit...and this is coming from someone who deals with decomposing bodies with a fair amount of regularity.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    So far as SNF is concerned how is it for like vendors, etc? I've never been. Is it more like a fly-in (like the way Copper State is described on here) or closer to Oshkosh and other conventions? We are considering SNF next year...
    I've been following this thread, having been to the three events mentioned - SnF, Copperstate, and Osh - sounds like more recently than some who answered here. Steve - to your question - if you do / have / plan to or will make Osh, there is really no need to spend the large amount of time and money it would take to go anywhere else. I went to SnF when I lived in Florida because it was an easy couple hours' drive. I go / have been bringing my airplane to Copperstate for the past 3 years because that's how long it's been out of Phase I, and CGZ is a mighty 22 minutes' flight from my home base. I have been to Osh 3x in the past 12 years, and am going again this year - each time a mighty expensive, long cross-country pilgrimage to see something that's orders of magnitude bigger and more event- / vendor- / aircraft- / and presentation - packed than any of these other regional events.

That said, any of the regional events are GREAT - if that's what you can get to. But if it's a toss-up of a halfway-cross-the-country trip to a regional fly-in or a halfway-cross-the-country trip to OSH - go for the big one. There is / will be more of whatever you are looking for there than anywhere else on earth.

To another of your points Copperstate does have forums, workshops, & vendors. The big vendor that comes to my mind is Spruce, since it's a day's drive for them to bring a pretty good pile of stuff each year (plus I think they will bring your order for pick-up at the show). Copperstate does have "the usual" workshops - sheet metal/riveting, fabric covering, composite. They also have a couple of dozen forum presentations running all day for Friday & Saturday + an abbreviated schedule on Thursday. Keep in mind, this is a "long weekend" event only - not a whole week. Sunday is "go home" day - no scheduled events.
    Last edited by Eric Witherspoon; 07-02-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: formatting
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

But if it's a toss-up of a halfway-cross-the-country trip to a regional fly-in or a halfway-cross-the-country trip to OSH - go for the big one. There is / will be more of whatever you are looking for there than anywhere else on earth
    Yeah, OSH is a five to six hour drive depending on the timing of passing through Chicago. I haven't flown to OSH yet and probably won't until I get the current LSA build done (which, seeing as I have a grand total of two ribs done, will be a while still) Renting an aircraft that is just going to sit for a week doesn't seem like a very smart move financially.

One reason we were considering SnF was because of my fiancee has family in Florida and it's an 'excuse' for a trip. Oshkosh is pretty much an every year "Don't schedule anything for the last week of July" sort of deal. I finally got out of having to attend a family wedding that was unfortunately coinciding with it this year so I will be able to attend after all. Originally, my fiancee suggested that we get married the last week of July next year and I told her "Unless you're wanting to do it in east central Wisconsin, pick another date."

and am going again this year
    You've got a beer coming from me then. I appreciate the advice about the different events.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.