Thread: Getting mek

Getting mek

We are in the process of rebuilding a Piper PA12 and a Piper Colt. About two years ago I bought a 55 gal drum of MEK that cost $15 per gallon less than at the local hardware store. Now we are finding out you almost can't buy MEK for any price. It seems you have to have a background check from the Drug Enforcement Agency. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do?
    Lou Lacy
    loulacy@gmail.com

Hi, Lou;

Don't know about 55 gal qty's, but Lowes still has it in 1 gal cans. No background check required, either. You might want to pay cash, though, if you go that route; they'll trace your credit card expenditures to the products and think bad things about you.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

not here, Lowe's and other hardware stores now seem to only sell "MEK Substitute". I don't know the difference but it seems to work just as well as the real stuff and has a less offensive odor, although a respirator is still a good idea.

Thank you meth cookers. We have a similar issue here to what Tony described. Apparently MEK is commonly used in making meth so they've put controls on its sale much like they did with pseudoephedrine.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

MEK is used a fair amount in the composites industry. You might try http://www.compositesone.com/ and see if a local distributor can source some for you.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Regardless of how you get it be prepared to pay. A 55 gal drum is now ~$1150 or ~$21/gal.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Regardless of how you get it be prepared to pay. A 55 gal drum is now ~$1150 or ~$21/gal.
    And how much of this is needed for an average composite build?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Have you tried the new All-Safe brand MEK? It’s part of the family of All-Safe products. The resin is so user friendly it has a picture of the owner’s kid bathing in it on the box. And the Part B is Atlanta tap water. A word of caution though, there is litigation pending. Seems we just can’t have pictures of kids in a tub any more. ;-)
    The journey is the reward.