Thread: ultralights

ultralights

is their any way to change a fat quicksliver mx back to 254 lbs to fly part 103

If it has not already been N numbered, take out the second seat, put in a five gallon gas tank, weigh it and if 254 or less - have fun. If it has been N numbered, sorry it will always be a light sport airplane no matter what you do with it.
    But - before you go to all that trouble, wait for a second opinion here...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I'm not sure about how to specifically convert the MX, but for most "fat" ultralights it involves using a lighter weight engine (Rotax 447 or lighter), reducing the fuel tank to 5 gallons, a smaller battery, and getting rid of some features like brakes and speed mods. I've heard that you can also get some bonus empty weight by installing a BRS parachute since it they are listed as 25 lbs, but really only weight 15-17 lbs, but I've never weighed one myself.

Jerry,

I don't think it would be an issue going from N-number LSA to Part 103. It would just have to meet the restrictions.

Going the other way is near impossible.

Ryan

Just about everything needed to know about ultralight rules in the FAA Advisory Circular 103-7

Should be available with a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post
    I don't think it would be an issue going from N-number LSA to Part 103. It would just have to meet the restrictions.
    I agree, plus you'd need to peel the n-number off and throw the paperwork in the trash.

FAA Advisory Circular 103-7

Para 12.c. (pp. 4):
    "No Airworthiness Certificate. An ultralight cannot be operated under Part 103 if it has been issued a current U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate."

Para 15. (pp. 7):
    "AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE (Sect 103.1(c)).
    a. If your ultralight has been issued an airworthiness certificate, you cannot operate it as an ultralight vehicle under Part 103. An ultralight cannot be operated interchangeably as a certificated aircraft and an ultralight vehicle.
    b. If you want to operate your ultralight under Part 103, you must turn in, to the issuing authority, any airworthiness certificates currently issued for the craft."
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

So you need to send the paperwork to the FAA for them to throw in the trash.

Just kidding. I suppose the FAA would need to remove the aircraft from the registry and maybe reuse the N-number, so the procedure makes sense.