View Poll Results: What New Topic Subject Would You Like?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young Eagles

6 40.00%
  • Chapters

6 40.00%
  • Weather

2 13.33%
  • Simulations

1 6.67%
  • Flying Destinations / Events

9 60.00%
  • Safety

4 26.67%
  • Light Sport

5 33.33%
  • Buying & Selling

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Next Forum Topic Sections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Next Forum Topic Sections

Now that it seems this message board is completely perfect (except for some color preferences,) can we start looking into adding a couple of new topic sections? Feel free to add your own ideas in replies.
    I got the poll items from the suggestions in the old 365 message titles. I didn't go into the individual messages, so there may be other suggestions I didn't see.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 08-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.

i would really like to have a discussion with other pilots, owners, mechanics, and just enthusiasts on several topics that I either have some knowledge of or want to learn more about.
    Safety is one issue, but it doesn't seem to draw interest, it is just not flashy enough. I wrote at some lenght about a safety issue on the warbird topic,and it hasn't drawn even one reply, except for a number of people that were only focused on what paint scheme the plane had.
    The largest response that I have seen, by far was not about airplanes of any kind or of flying at all , but it was about cell phone use. That got a big response. It seems even on this EAA site, that cell phones have a lot more interest to folks than flying. I realize the difference in cost, and maybe I am old fashioned, but flying of almost any kind in almost any airplane, seems a lot more fun than talking on even the most techno complex cell phone ever has.

I always land in here via "what's new". My "bookmark" is that actual link. I also think the vBulletin search works pretty well.

That being said, my suggestion is to not overdo the topics and subtopics - let people post where they think it is best and let the mods move the posts in the rare cases it is needed.

I'm not saying no new topics are needed; just that it should not be over-thought to much.

I've been watching the number of new members growing since monday. Looks like the count has increased by 200. Not bad. I would like to see a section for homebuilders help broken up into sub-forums for particular aircraft manufacturers.

Safety is one issue, but it doesn't seem to draw interest, it is just not flashy enough. I wrote at some lenght about a safety issue on the warbird topic,and it hasn't drawn even one reply, except for a number of people that were only focused on what paint scheme the plane had.
    If you're referring to the mid-air at Duxford, honestly that as an experimental flight safety discussion is kind of a moot point since the vast majority of us never fly in formation let alone try a breakaway maneuver from one. There's a bigger interest in safety when it pertains to things that actually effect the average pilot. At very least, you'll have myself (as an aviation safety researcher) to discuss, debate with and bounce ideas off of.

I'm not a big fan of sub-forums, but then again, I'm also one of those "New Posts" people, so I'll rarely see it. I think before adding a bunch of new forums or sub-forums it might be wise to wait a while and see how things shake out. Over time, it will become obvious if another forum is needed. BTW... here is an extreme example of having too many forums and sub-forums...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/forum.php

All that being said, I think a Fly Mart section would be nice for those members that wish to buy/sell/trade stuff.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.