Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oshkosh Traditions?

I've been attending AirVenture since 1986,(only 6 weeks old), thanks to my parents who celebrate their wedding anniversay at Oshkosh also. I guess you can say that we have many traditions during our week at Oshkosh. I've been able to make it every year except for 3 years I believe, and that's only because the Army didn't sync it's schedule with AirVenture! Two years ago I was even able to make it for 4 days right before deploying to Iraq and was also able to make it home from deployment last year to spend the whole week at airshow. Every year it seems that we go earlier and stay later and as soon as the last day finishes we are already talking and planning for next year. Our family traditions start by arriving early on the Saturday before the show, setting up camp-we are always on the same row every year, then we usually go down to watch the arrivals and by the time we get back to camp some of the rest of the crew shows up! Hitting up the pavillions and the square are always a first on Monday and we usually end up at the Warbirds every afternoon and then settle down for the show. Being in the military, I make a point of joining in the Veteran's Parade-it's great to hear the stories! And then there is also the weekly trip to Ardy & Ed's for dinner and then the LT Dan Band(sorry that they won't be here this year) and the night air show! There are so many traditions that I have, and probably to many to list here. There is always more that enough to see and do than the week that you are given and can't wait to fly "home" and see Oshkosh in 18 days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Flansburg View Post
    Make sure you have at least one glass of Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing. I look forward to this every year. They only sell their beer within the state of WI.
    Hi, Rob. Funny; we were just discussing this with someone last night. Can't wait!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I have been thinking about this thread, and it took me a while to separate "habit" from tradition with this being my 37th convention though I am not yet 40 years old. Some of my favorite traditions are no longer possible, but some here may recall some of them.

Traditions since past:
    ~We would arrive and camp in Scholler early (and in the really early years up near the warbirds). Up until about ten years ago you could easily get a bike inside the gates a few days before the show. We would go in and ride down Wittman (which was main street then). The Sky Shoppe was the only merchandise building, long before the Wearhouse. We would stop there and "window shop" the shirt offering for the year. It was always exciting to see the new designs for the first time there (obviously pre-internet).
    ~There was always a chapter trip to Shakey's Pizza for dinner one night. Back then Shakey's was A) Still open B) Had a piano player and you could throw peanut shells on the floor.
    ~Just about every morning dad and I would get up early, before the rest of the family, and hike to the warbirds to take pictures. If we got a good start we would be in the warbird area by the time Bill Ricketts did his trademark 7 AM yodel wake up call? I really miss this most of all. Dad's last convention after not missing one since 1968 was 2004. "The Yodler", which was all we ever knew Bill as passed in 2005. I wonder if they have that on tape and still play it?
    ~Seeing "the whistler" at theater in the woods.
    ~Me, my brother, and my sister all quitting summer jobs to go to Oshkosh if they would not give us the time off.
    ~A rather large (Over 130 people in the late 80's) chapter Luau in Camp Scholler, complete with flaming volcano.

Traditions still with us:
    ~The entire family camping together. Last year we had three generations.
    ~Still tent camping, after 40+ years.
    ~Heading to the Warbird Cafe for great pancakes at breakfast and a better view at least once.
    ~Breakfast at camp with a fresh copy "Airventure Today".
    ~Wisconsin Brats and kraut cooking up while we keep an eye on the air show from camp.
    ~A visit to the seaplane base, and on warm water years an afternoon (or several) of swimming there as well.
    ~A trip to the museum, kidventure, and a trip to pay our respects to Dad's brick at the top of compass hill.

Have always tent camped in Scholler, this will be 30 years since my first Oshkosh. Breakfast and dinners at aces cafe, we always get a pizza on the flightline at least one night. I walk everywhere, never take the shuttle. It's a yearly event to be inside of an exhibit building or shop when some fast mover arrives, miss it every time.

@s10sakota - great thread! Love this. My son (21 years old now) and I have been attending since '07, but missed SploshKosh (he had a summer session of college classes). Neither of us are pilots, so we drive from Houston. We get excited just preparing for the trip. 1271 miles, over 20 hours on the road each way. We love the trek, and one tradition is seeing how long we can go without stopping. Record so far was one 10 hour non-stop leg over 700 miles (42 gallon gas tank). We literally ran out of gas and coasted down the ramp into a gas station.

Other traditions we enjoy:
    -Hearing "Welcome to Oshkosh" at Camp Registration, and then setting up camp as fast as possible so we can get to flight line.
    -Daily root beer floats during the show - we're frequent floaters!
    -Volunteering at flight line ops each afternoon - my son's idea, and it put a whole new perspective on Oshkosh for us.
    -Evening walks enjoying the sight of thousands of planes in the sunset (and getting some great video and pics).
    -Waking up in the tent to the sound of the skywriters or the blimp droning overhead

FlyGirl86,

Sounds like you have it well sorted! It is amazing hearing all these stories and traditions - makes me all the more excited, this being my first visit.
    Name:  S10.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  87.8 KB

With landing the day before and leaving on the day after it all winds up I hope not to miss anything. That tool on the eaa website is handy, I have a complete list of all the forums/seminars/air displays etc dated and timed and where they are located so I won't miss the priority events.
    Thanks for that Rob, I won't miss it.
    S10, not sure if the pic has attached properly - just a snap of a friend and I cruising around near a friend's strip in his S10. My friend on board is an experienced GA instructor, 1800hrs total (I am a GA instructor as well but more of a recreational pilot although I do several different weekend flying jobs) - anyway, went out to convert her to Microlights and she was real impressed. Also did a type intro with her in the Tiger Moth which she really loved .I mean, what's not to love?

Those S10s are the perfect cost effective aerobatic machine that's for sure.

Am boarding the plane in 6 days for LA, can't wait!

SOS Bros! Great Views, great Brats, cold beer

Just thinking that by this time next week, I will be in Oshkosh watching mass arrivals!!! I've got the "Oshkosh Bug" and just can't wait! The bag is 80% packed and I think my family is just as excited. My dad and I are insane if we don't mention airshow at least 5 times in the day over the phone...

AndyNZ,
    It's good to have the list, don't worry you will absolutely get your fill of AirVenture even if you don't see everything! It's very difficult to see it all, I never manage it! Early welcome to your first AirVenture and if you are looking for a campfire, friendly people, and some airplane talk feel free to look us up in the North 40 of Camp Scholler, row 4 or 5-The Urbans.