Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Traditions?

One of my traditions is to visit the Sacred Heart food stand located just northwest of the main gate at least once during the week, and usually more than once. Good food with good prices and some of the nicest people running the stand you could ever hope to meet. At least once during the week I make my way to the the last airplane at the south end of the field in "North Fond du Lac", and I always spend at least an hour some evening watching the flying activity at the ultralights strip.

Perhaps my favorite thing to do is get onto the grounds between 5:30 and 6:00am, get the Timeless Voices tent opened up, and then spend 30-40 minutes taking photos in the golden glow of the sunrise. It's a beautiful time to be on the grounds, and the smell of freshly prepared donuts drifting around from down by the IAC building is mouthwatering.

Other than that, Oshkosh to me has evolved from being about seeing the latest and greatest airplanes and restorations to seeing some of my closest friends every summer. I love it!

Second the motion at Ardy and Eds! We have had a tradition of one night there during the week. Probably about ten years now. The number of people continues to expand. All that camp around us from Scholler and even a couple of the "Warbird types". Great place to eat, be served by carhops on roller skates, listen to 50's-60's music and watch the airplanes fly low over your head on final to 27 after the daily show. Ah, only a month to go!

Look us up in Camp Scholler...

This will be our second Oshkosh Airventure. The first one was 6 years ago when my youngest as just 6. Now my other son is 6 and it is his time. So my 83 year old father (Korea / Viet-Nam vet) myself and my 12 year old and now my 6 year old will be back up from Texas to Oshkosh.
    Great vacation, great tradition and hope to continue for many years to come.

Greatest thing in American Life!

A few buddies and I have been coming to Oshkosh for 23 years now and still celebrate the Oshkwinox every January because we are excited to be half-way there!&nbsp; We've flown ourselves the last 7 years or so.&nbsp; We love seeing the airplanes, spending too much money at the vendors, and particularly talking to the people at lunch and near their aircraft.&nbsp; A week immersed in aviation.&nbsp; What's not to love!&nbsp; For those who have not already, make sure to see the Seaplane Base.&nbsp; It is a bucolic oasis on a hot day; a nice break from the heat and the crowds - and their roasted corn is great!&nbsp; One of my traditions, like Zack Baughman, is to walk almost to Fond du Lac to see how many airplanes are parked.&nbsp; It gives a good idea of the show's attendance, and the state of the economy.&nbsp; Hope to see airplanes all the way to the fence this year!<br><br>Hope to see you on the flightline!<br><br><br>

A more recent tradition has been checking on the progress of some of the flying cars each year. Especially the I-Tec Maverick Flying Car. I was sorry to hear about Steve Saint's airplane accident. His life is an amazing story, and I am amazed by how well he is handling his injuries.

Donuts!!!!!!!

I've been going for , well this will be my 42nd in a row now. A few years back I took my brother-in-law along. As we're walking in he stops and says "I smell donuts!". I said,"so?".
    He said, "You've never had fresh donuts before, have you?". Well, we went over and had some. Since then it's absolutely the first place we go every morning. And get there early too or the line is about 150ft long by 8:30!

Great post cheers s10sakota.
    Speaking of which, the most affordable fun you can have upside down is in one of those! Fantastic aeroplane.
    Well I am extremely excited. This will be my first. I am flying into LA, from New Zealand. And will end up flying in with a friend in his Tiger Moth from Iowa. There is alot that I plan to do, but the things I am most looking forward to, are seeing Glacier Girl and Fifi, seeing Sean D Tucker, Melissa Pembleton Mike Goulian and Matt Chapman's displays (IAC'er speaking here!!). Sampling lots of different local beers is also on the priority list also.
    We are planning to visit Fond du lac on teh way home on the 29th as well. I want to land there, have lunch and walk around the place thinking about the days when Herendeen, Pitts, Haigh, Weeks, Davis,Hillard, Soucey, Poberezny and all the other massive names of the 60s 70s and 80s were there. When there were several rows of red and white Pitts (similar to what we're building back home), the days when Zlin's monoplanes were pretty new and biplanes were the vast majority.
    I have a couple of days booked @ the Tutima Academy as well - seriously looking forward to seeing what the S2C is like. I instruct and do joyrides in A's and B's here so looking forward to those couple of days.
    If there are any regulars here which there appear to be, any other must do's while there? We are arriving a day early and leaving the day after it all winds up and will be camping next to the aeroplane.

Really looking forward to this trip!

regards,
    Andy

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    AndyNZ, make sure you register at the 'International Visitors' tent and get the details for the BBQ they throw. Local breweries have mighty fine products to be sampled for free!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyNZ View Post
    Sampling lots of different local beers is also on the priority list also.
    Make sure you have at least one glass of Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing. I look forward to this every year. They only sell their beer within the state of WI.