Thread: Camping in Vintage

Camping in Vintage

My wife and I camped in camp Scholer last year after driving out. This year we are flying our Colt out and want to camp in Vintage. Where are the closest shower facilities to the Vintage camping area?

Here is a map that shows the layout and facilities.

http://www.airventure.org/images/av11_visitormap.jpg

I have a 1965 Cherokee Six, so I'm pretty sure I can use the vintage parking. I checked it out last year but it seemed to me the North 40 facilities were nicer. The shower house was really nice and now they are putting up an eatery of some sort also. Additionally it is an easy bike ride with a nice road to the nearby stores if you need something.

I plan on putting up the GAC sign again this year. Anyone else feel the same way?

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    I camp in Vintage just for the evening discussions and libation. If you want nice showers you want the North 40. Shower facilities in Vintage are usable but not desirable. The showers closest to the Red Barn and Theater in the Woods are so primitive that we can't keep the tourists from peeing in the steel trough that serves as a sink. Can't really blame them as it looks more like a urinal trough than a sink.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    The showers closest to the Red Barn and Theater in the Woods are so primitive that we can't keep the tourists from peeing in the steel trough that serves as a sink. Can't really blame them as it looks more like a urinal trough than a sink.
    Weren't we trying to get more of the big round motor vintage aircraft to come to Airventure because many people come to Airventure (myself included) to enjoy the nostalgia of seeing and hearing those beautiful old airplanes. This hardly sounds like an inducement for anyone to bring their airplane to Airventure if these are the amenities (?) provided to Vintage aircraft.
    Bill

Ha! Come on, they're not that bad. No, the shower facilities in Vintage aren't as nice as the North 40, but they're functional and adequate. There are two, one as Jim said south of the Red Barn, and one way down in the South 40, just beyond the ultralight runway. Don't take the shortcut across the grass ultralight runway at night when it's pitch dark because the guard will accost you and tell you you're walking on "an active runway." Right. It's a bit of a trek to either one if you're parked in the middle rows of Vintage. I think Vintage is still the place to be, since it's closer to the center of the show and you can sit under your wing and watch the airshow.
    Last edited by MEdwards; 06-27-2012 at 11:23 PM.

The two times I have flown into Oshkosh with a friend, we have camped in Vintage. We're usually within a minute walk of the shower facilities by the "Hangar Cafe". This facility is a mobile shower unit (which I believe is sponsored by Kohler). In my opinion, it's a nice facility with individual fiberglass shower stalls. Outside, there are sinks and electrical outlets available. For the money we pay to camp, I think that shower facility is reasonable. I'd just love to see more of them on site.

I'm also in agreement with Jim that I camp in Vintage for the fellowship. I'm sure the North 40 has awesome fellowship as well, but most of my fellow Shortwing pilots stay in Vintage, so that's where I go.

Shortwings forever!!!
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Bingo, I have camped in tents, motorhomes, pop ups, under a wing (in the early days when the N 40 was about where the warbirds are now, in the N 40, and in Vintage. There is not a bad place to camp. You will get fellowship everywhere. It is fantabulous.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

If there are the same as previous years, there are in fact THREE. An older permanent structure just south of the gully that separates vintage from the Theater an the woods, a pair of shower trailers just behind the hangar cafe, and a single trailer unit down south of ultralights.

I've camped both at VAC and at GAC. The first time at VAC was because the North 40 was flooded a couple years ago, but VAC was open. Last year at VAC I felt like I was just outside the Fon du lac city limits, but it was still a lot of fun. It wasn't far either time at VAC to a shower trailer and potties, no farther than at the North 40. If what you want is the permanent shower/toilet facilities, then go for GAC. But either place, you'll have fun with 800,000 of your closest friends, and isn't that what it's all about?

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee