Thread: P-63 Flying

P-63 Flying

I was at our FBO and a charter pilot spoke to me, he looked familar, but it happened fast and I am bad with names, might be John?
    He is from Houston area, was in town on a Lear charter and departed to Hobby in just a few minutes.
    He is a CAF pilot/and or sponsor of the P-63 and told me that it was now back flying after much work.
    It was due for an annual and they were approached by an out of state shop who offered to do the annual cheaper.
    Turns out that did not happen and there were problems so the plane was moved to Breckenridge and after a lot of major work Nelson had it ready to go. It should be in good shape now.

The airplane was moved from Nelsons for unknown (to me reasons) and the work was finished in San Marcos. The airplane has flown several flights and two pilots got their ratings in the airplane. It was also at the Hondo Fly In.

As it was told to me, the problem with some of the work was with an out of state repair shop, it certainly was not with Nelson. I assume some final assembly was done in San Marcos since they had the manpower and space and time there.

Can you tell me who beside Mike is a sponsor and/or pilot for the P-63?

Bill,

There was some issue with repair work done somewhere, the aircraft was then taken to Nelson, and then moved to San Marcos. I know the guys at San Marcos did a lot of work on the airplane to get it flyable (they have a lot of P39 experience). Scott (from Houston) is another sponsor on the aircraft.