Thread: Somewhere, there's a drunk, armless gibbon...

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Somewhere, there's a drunk, armless gibbon...

Who can rivet better than me, but it's a start.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340484411.570368.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  32.3 KB

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Is this a test? Clearly this is the flap actuator from a Boeing 727. Where do I claim my prize?

LOL, education and recreation, Hal, education and recreation....

I'm sure you have good teachers, but I always found that a steady workpiece and a big bucking bar were two of my best friends in bucking rivets. I still find button head rivets harder to shoot cleanly (no dings or cuts) than flush rivets. And all rivet sets are not equal. Some are much more forgiving than others.

Gotta start somewhere, Hal. It gets easier from here.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Who can rivet better than me, but it's a start.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340484411.570368.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  32.3 KB
    Well, hay-ell, Hal, worse-looking pieces than that drop from my Fly Baby every couple of weeks.Name:  pilot_beer4.gif
Views: 369
Size:  3.6 KB

Ron Wanttaja

Hal, are you building a plane, or is it just general practice?

Anyway, don't worry about how it looks, after all a couple of coats of yellow and brown paint will cover up the rivets just fine.

I recall I went to a homebuilding clinic at EAA one winter at the museum. Someone asks the pros and cons of the different types of building methods. One man said that the epoxy for firberglass smells so bad and might have health hazards, and that builder answered that at least he never had a piece of glass jump up and try to hit him in the eye.
    By the way, Osh in Feb. is one of the greyest, wet, coldest places you never want to be at.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prasmussen View Post
    Is this a test? Clearly this is the flap actuator from a Boeing 727. Where do I claim my prize?
    Boeing headquarters in Seatt- err, Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by fly2kads View Post
    LOL, education and recreation, Hal, education and recreation....
    Not a bad mantra - add a dash of frustration every once in a while and you have the recipe for an informative weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'm sure you have good teachers, but I always found that a steady workpiece and a big bucking bar were two of my best friends in bucking rivets. I still find button head rivets harder to shoot cleanly (no dings or cuts) than flush rivets. And all rivet sets are not equal. Some are much more forgiving than others.
    Good insights, Kyle - and the most important thing for me is that, before this past weekend, I would only have partially understood it "on paper." Now I can say I know first hand why that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Gotta start somewhere, Hal. It gets easier from here.
    Indeed, thanks Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
    Great words from the Rough Rider, Kevin. Next time I tinker with metal, I'll speak softly and carry a big bucking bar.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Well, hay-ell, Hal, worse-looking pieces than that drop from my Fly Baby every couple of weeks.Name:  pilot_beer4.gif
Views: 369
Size:  3.6 KB

Ron Wanttaja
    I find that strangely reassuring, Ron - thanks, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Hal, are you building a plane, or is it just general practice?

Anyway, don't worry about how it looks, after all a couple of coats of yellow and brown paint will cover up the rivets just fine.
    Bill, this was part of a SportAir Workshop my wife and I attended this past weekend here in Oshkosh, so this was truly my first go at riveting.

You're right, I'm sure, that once it's suitably yellow-and-browned it will look a lot better. Keep an eye on your mailbox for a suspiciously heavy envelope...

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal, don't let all those killjoys and tight ass perfectionists spoil your fun!
    You don't really have to have every rivet as perfect as it looks in the instruction books. Why do you think they put so many rivets in anyway, to take up the slack if one or two are not perfect. And where is the aritistic freedom ofcreative expression if every rivet looks the same?
    Besides, it is well known that just like a classic wooden sailing ship rides smoother than an iron freighter; so it also applies to airplanes.
    A Chrysler sedan rides smoother than a race car.
    A little slack in the rivets, a little looseness just makes a plane ride better in turbulence, same as an old house creaks a little bit in a windstorm.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-26-2012 at 10:15 AM.