Thread: Looking for pointers to scratch build a Cub fuselage?

Looking for pointers to scratch build a Cub fuselage?

I recently completed an RV7 and want to move on to something more challenging. I have my sights set on a scratch building a Cub type. I am training in TIG welding and hoping to be proficient enough to build my fuse next spring.

I am looking for someone experienced with fuse welding that I can chat with to understand what is REALLY required?
    Do I need a jig? Where in the US can I find one, or how to build one?
    Does 4130 need to be annealled or normalized?
    Tricks of the experienced builder/welder.
    Best source of materials?
    Who is the "go to" guy (or gal) for fuse welding?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Dave Smith
    Libertyville, IL

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    Dave,

Pick up a set of Tony Bingelis' books - they are a "must have" and the answers to most of your questions are in them.
    Yes, you'll need a jig to do it properly - The Wag-Aero Sport Trainer plans show you how to build a simple wood jig and are a good investment.
    You'll find proponents of "normalizing" and not "normalizing" 4130. To each his own. I've done both tig "normalized and "non-normalized" and both are plenty strong enough for a Cub fuselage.
    "Go to" for welding would be our own EAA - they have a great Aircraft Welding book/video combination http://www.shopeaa.com/weldingbookanddvdcombo.aspx
    Cheers,
    Tom
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

When you get closer to where you want to start welding on some aircraft tubes, you might consider a "tube kit". Yes, there are companies that make just the tube kits - your welding required.

http://cartesiantube.com/aircraftlibrary.html

Still plenty of time in building the jigs and all the rest of the stuff that goes into an airplane from there...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Wag Aero sells plans and materials for their Sport Trainer which is pretty close to a J-3 Cub. They also sell prewelded fuselage cages for those who don't wish to do all the extra work. There are plans available for the original PA-18 Super Cub if you want something bigger than a J-3.

You will want to make some basic jigs for the major components to keep everything straight. I suggest you search the archives at www.supercub.org for photos and old posts about building your own Cub.

You can normalize your welds by heating them with a torch and allowing them to slowly cool in a draft-free environment. Not everyone agrees on how effective this is.

Wag Aero and Aircraft Spruce have all the material you need. You may be able to find a local supplier that will save you some shipping money, but you'll have to do some research on that yourself.

The good thing about tackling a J-3 or PA-18 look-alike is that there is a wealth of information and support available.

Best of luck on your project.

Welding

Go to airbum.com and read Budd Davison's articles on welding tubing. Excelent writing and easy to understand.

Precut tubing kits

Check Cartersian Tube Profiling . Not sure of the spelling . But they offer CAD precut tubing kits including the end scarf joints for a number of fuselages. I looked at a breezy at one time. The joint prep is the secret to a good joint fit up and weld out.

You stated you want to build a Cub type. Besides all the excellent Wag-Aero ones, take a look at the Bearhawk Patrol also. You can plans build it or buy a kit and Wicks sells the complete hardware kit for it. They also say it can be built to LSA standards as well.

Take a look at Eric Newton's web site: www.mybearhawk.com

Eric did everything scratch build, but he was one quick builder!

Fuselage section:

http://mybearhawk.com/fuselage/fuseframe1.html

There are some excellent 4130 video's sold by Tinmantech.com Highly recommended,
    DVD's these days, but I kept an old VCR to watch the tapes I have.

Have someone sit down with you and go through the steps on adjusting and lighting.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DSMITHLIB View Post
    I recently completed an RV7 and want to move on to something more challenging. I have my sights set on a scratch building a Cub type. I am training in TIG welding and hoping to be proficient enough to build my fuse next spring.

I am looking for someone experienced with fuse welding that I can chat with to understand what is REALLY required?
    Do I need a jig? Where in the US can I find one, or how to build one?
    Does 4130 need to be annealled or normalized?
    Tricks of the experienced builder/welder.
    Best source of materials?
    Who is the "go to" guy (or gal) for fuse welding?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Dave Smith
    Libertyville, IL
    PM Sent