Thread: Purchasing a kit that has already been started

Purchasing a kit that has already been started

Good morning,
    I am considering purchasing a Fisher Celebrity kit that has already been started. What are the basics concerning the rules as far as me receiving the repairman certificate etc. I would estimate that the plane is about 50% complete. What documentation do I need to get from the previous builder etc....
    If you need additional information please do not hesitate to ask.
    Thanks to all in advance
    Rick

Get his builder records/logs/photos, whatever is available. It would be nice if he included a statement that he constructed the aircraft (components) solely for recreation/education. Then you simply assume his work. Apply for the repairman certificate when you apply for airworthiness. I see no reason why you can't complete the airplane as the primary builder. Sounds like a good project.

Do I go to the FSDO before money changes hands to verify? This whole project is a fluke as I have always wanted a Celebrity. A local guy just has lost interest and wants to unload it. My plans are to drag a couple of folks who are much smarter than I to look at the project and critique the workmanship etc. Assuming that is ok then I guess the negotiations begin. I just don't want to end up with a completed a/c and have an issue with all of the paperwork. I do truly appreciate any advice and wisdom.
    Rick

There is no reason to verify anything with the FSDO. Most likely, you will hire a DAR to issue the paperwork when it's done. Even if you elect to schedule an FAA ASI for the inspection and paperwork, follow the AC, use your builder records and other paperwork to verify you meet all the requirements for amateur built registration. Having someone look it over with you before writing the check is a good idea.

Paperwork

Getting the repairman certificate should not be a big problem if you do a good job of documenting your work from here on out, especially photos. The FAA loves photos. In fact in all three cases I have presented no other evidence than my photo album and the aircraft paperwork to get my repairman cert. I had my builders log, mind you, but they didn't ask to see it.

When buying a partially completed experimental amateur-built airplane you will need to be able to satisfy the FAA as to two major concerns. One, is the plane amateur built, and two, do you own it?

You need the builder logs and photos from the previous owner or owners to support your claim, and a letter swearing that he did all the work himself for his education and recreation would also be helpful. The new rules in AC20-27G demand that you maintain a builder log. Even though old kits are supposed to be grandfathered in under the old rules, many FSDOs are asking for the documentation required under the new rules. Download and read a copy of this advisory circular to see what is involved. You can find it on the FAA web site. If there are no photos or builder logs available I suggest you not buy the project. If the previous owner used commercial assistance, this could add further complications

You must also be able to prove you have clear title to the project. Ideally this starts with a paid invoice from the original kit manufacturer, or receipts for the material if building from plans. You should get an FAA bill of sale from the current owner when you buy the project and invoices for materials he purchased. If there have been intermediate owners, it is good to be able to prove the entire chain of ownership from day one. Some FSDOs will let you submit a statement in lieu of lost or missing paperwork, but this varies from one office to the next. When in doubt, ask!

These could be minor issues of major deal killers. Talk to a DAR or the FAA early in the process to avoid future problems.

Dave Prizio

Dave,
    That information is EXACTLY the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks to both of you for your help.
    Rick

I will add to the discussion that if the airplane "looks 90% complete" my personal observation is that it likely has 90% to go. If your document your own work you should have no trouble with obtaining a Repairman Certificate.

The most important thing to look at is whether the existing work is of good quality and is the airplane straight. A friend purchased an RV kit that had been started and after looking at the rudder assembly, he threw it in the trash and ordered another one. The original one had been assembled with a twist and it would have been more work to drill out the rivets and try to make it straight than to build a new one.

Best of luck,

Wes