Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request advice on camp stoves...

Request advice on camp stoves...

I know it may be a little late to shop for camp stoves for OSH, but does anyone know of a nice, small, kind of stove ideal for one or two people camping by their plane? I have never been to OSH, and am not sure what to bring. I just need something small to cook instant oatmeal and coffee in the morning, and a can of soup in the evening. If you're not sure what your make and model are---that's fine, just please tell me what kind of stove it is (what it's called). Thankyou very much in advance! Oh, and how close can I cook to my plane? Thanks.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 06-24-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

I'd look at something like the Brunton Primus Micron Stove, on sale about $34.88 from Cabelas, other places too. I have used the 'Sterno' fueled stoves but they don't put out much heat & work better for just warming stuff up. I'd be looking for simple,light & safe, you don't want fuel spills in your plane. I also doubt you need to set up to cook a meal for 10. Just an idea, others would work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    I'd look at something like the Brunton Primus Micron Stove, on sale about $34.88 from Cabelas, other places too.
    Thanks, Joe! Would you say the Primus Micron stove is simple, light and safe? Can it boil water?
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 06-24-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

If all you want is oatmeal and coffee, get a Jet Boil. This neat little unit is what we use to make coffee in the morning. It will boil a liter of water in 90 seconds.
    The propane can and the burner fit inside the integral "pot". Runs about $60 at most of your better camp stores (got mine at REI). You can even get it a few bucks cheaper on the internet.
    The jet boil has it's own sparker so you just turn the knob and push the button and she's lit.

I would not cook any closer than 6 feet of the plane
    below is a small grill you can buy at sams--will cook just about anything
    Kevin

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod2500002

and if you have a lot of friends

As usual it depends. For my money - and yes it is expensive - I have had a MSR xgk. It is fueled by white gas but will burn almost any liguid fuel.
    It is my primary back pack stove. It is small light noisy and never has failed me. I have used it in the winter at -20, at 10000 feet as well as during the summer. Mine is over 30 years old and I have rebuilt it only once.
    Just my 2 cents.

I've got a simple coleman PerfectFlow 1-Burner Stove that screws right onto a propane bottle, that in turn sits in a molded base. They are on amazon for as low as $15 shipping included. It doesn't get much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by gisnar View Post
    As usual it depends. For my money - and yes it is expensive - I have had a MSR xgk. It is fueled by white gas but will burn almost any liguid fuel.
    It is my primary back pack stove. It is small light noisy and never has failed me. I have used it in the winter at -20, at 10000 feet as well as during the summer. Mine is over 30 years old and I have rebuilt it only once.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Your 2 cents is my 2 cents too. That's what I use.

I agree. Our jetboil is perfect for our airplane camping. Get the french press add on (about $12.00) for coffee.

Here's the Jetboil link http://www.campmor.com/jetboil-zip-p...=%7Bkeyword%7D
    Here's the Aeropress we use to make coffee http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm