Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which air drill to buy?

The Sioux palm drill posted above is top of the line, perfect for aircraft sheet metal work, is small, powerful..a real quality tool. It is my favorite out of every drill motor I have used. The rated speed is ideal for aircraft alum. work,...but for the occasional user you might not like the cost- it all depends on your need. I always buy the best tool, and you only buy it once and take proper care of it and do not abuse it. It will last almost forever.
    Note: I only use this for aircraft use. Drilling other things (like steel) I have a host of other drills to use. Drilling aluminum you need 3000 RPM or better, so the 3600 speed of the Sioux is ideal. Steel and other metals require a slow speed, and spinning a drill bit at 3600 rpm in steel will only burn up the bit. Also, the palm sized drills typically have smaller chucks, but for aircraft work 90% of your drill sizes are #40, #30, #21, #10.
    Another lower cost drill I have found is this one:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4122_200384122
    This one will perform just as well as the more expensive Sioux, and you can find it as low as $100 or so on-line.
    Beware of used drill motors on eBay- most are well worn, abused, may have "wobbly" chucks, etc..

mmcgrew

Ats - sioux

Quote Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
    The Sioux is my favorite air drill (I have several brands) - small and light with good trigger control. If you're not going to be taking out that many rivets, then pretty much any drill will do, but I recommend you get yourself a rivet removal tool - http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4332.html . With it, pretty much any drill will work and it'll center the bit on the rivet. It'll set the depth too. I use a small light varible speed lithium-ion cordless drill lots for removing rivets, so what you have should work fine.

I swear by SIOUX tools. The palm drill 4000 RPM is perfect for aviation work

Michael
    N551DK

I bought the drill from the yard store. I like it, it is very controllable for things like drilling out busted exhaust studs. I have put it thru a workout, I used it putting the floor in the attic over my shop - the ceiling joists are 16 ga steel & the self tapping screws take forever to go thru it so I ended up pre-drilling all the holes with the palm drill, it really sped things up. It doesn't have the torque of an electric drill, so it won't tighten floor screws or drive a larger hole saw, but that may be a plus - drilling 7/64 holes in the steel joists with a battery or regular electric drill if the bit seizes half the time it will break, with the air drill I just put it in reverse & backed it out.