Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which air drill to buy?

Well, I was going to try to get by without since I had some other expenses come up, including having to get new glasses (I hate getting old) but this weekend my battery drill was borrowed & I cant get anything done. Someone that doesn't own a compressor probably wont borrow an air drill.

Anyone have any experience with this one?

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,6578.html

It is 1/2 the price of the Sioux and looks very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post

Looks pretty but the speed is way too slow. If you are building I strongly recommend a 4000 rpm drill or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marsh View Post
    Looks pretty but the speed is way too slow. If you are building I strongly recommend a 4000 rpm drill or better.
    Won't that burn up drill bits? Once I get the rivets drilled out of these Cessna parts most everything else I will be using it on will be steel - my fuselage will be 4130 tube.

Won't that burn up drill bits? Once I get the rivets drilled out of these Cessna parts most everything else I will be using it on will be steel - my fuselage will be 4130 tube.
    You don't have to run it full open but it's nice to have the option. If you want a slow drill get get one of those $20 ones from Harbor Freight.

It is a Ingersol Rand palm drill clone.. Not a IR but close enough. I have several IR drills and I love them! If the house was on fire I would save those drills and my IR 90 degree die grinders first! If you get a $30.00 cheapie drill it will feal like a club compaired to what your looking at. Go for it!

This is the real deal. Expensive and the only reason i bought mine was i used it every day. I bought a second because i didn't want to change tooling all the time and when I was a contrator time = money.
    http://www.browntool.com/Default.asp...ProductID=2213
    Last edited by RV8505; 08-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I don't need a drill bad enough to spend $450

As near as I can tell you can't get a reversible that goes over 2600 rpm, & made up my mind a long time ago that I won't ever buy another non-reversing drill.

What i'm saying is I like the yard store drill! How many times do you really need the reverse anyway. it is just as easy to grab the chuck and untwist it if it is stuck

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    What i'm saying is I like the yard store drill! How many times do you really need the reverse anyway. it is just as easy to grab the chuck and untwist it if it is stuck
    Yea, I think I like it also. I was hoping someone here worked in whatever Wichita factory they were using them in.

I actually use reverse a lot, drilling out stuck & broken studs / bolts with left hand bits - also I pick up construction jobs when my business slow & a lot of that is steel stud framing that is screwed together, so reverse comes in handy.

If you look at them side by side the yard store drill is almost an exact clone. I think it is a pretty good value. if you put a few drops of air tool oil in there everytime you use it and have a dry air source it will last the rest of your life. I love tools. You ever have a old tool break that you had for years and feel a since of loss? That's me.

Anyway, Sometimes, I think that is why some can't drill rivets out due to clunky drills