Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which air drill to buy?

I think you can use what you have.

Cool. That will save me some money.

Thanks guys

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    A 3000+ rpm air drill is really nice, but for all-around use, a cordless sure does come in handy. Unless your 1800 rpm drill is really old, you should be able to control the speed a bit with the trigger. It seems like it might be time for you to get a new compact lightweight cordless drill - stop by Home Depot/Sears/Lowe's/or whatever you have in your area and look at what they have. You should be able to get a fairly nice one for around $100. 3/8" is all you need for what you're talking about. I think most cordless drills max out around 1800 rpm. I'd go for the lightest 1800 rpm keyless chuck drill you can find.
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

Check out Grizzly Tools

I bought Grizzly Tools' medium priced 90 degree reversible variable speed air drill. I have used it for going on 3 years now, and have built a Sonex with it. It has been trouble free, and the 90 degree head has allowed me to get into places I couldn't with a regular drill. Most Grizzly tools are made in Taiwan, not China, and are of excellent quality. No, I don't work for Grizzly, but I have many of their woodworking and metal working tools. http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-8-...le-Drill/H8217

We purchased a Grizzly horizontal band saw, the largest one they sell over 10 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. Google "Grizzly tool review" and you will see a lot of very good coments there. I also have their smaller upright band saw and that works like a charm too. L
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

I know guys that use grizzly but I never have. I might have to check them out - besides a drill I will be needing a bigger band saw at some point to cut tube.

I got the rivet removal tool the other day, it works pretty good. I have been using my battery drill, but the one battery dies pretty quick.

An air drill is ideal for use on an airplane because you always have a ready source of air available.
    Ya see, ya just connect it to the aircraft tire....

A really big advantage of an air drill is the low inertia of the drive motor. It won't break bits etc when they jam up.

FWIW - I stumbled onto a 1/4 inch 4000 rpm Ingersoll rand electric drill. Boy does that make quick work of drilling out rivets! I find it works easiest to drill the first hole way undersize (like 1/16 inch dia) in the rivet to visually get it centered, & then follow up with the correct size. Very small bits don't walk as much, and larger bits will follow the small hole very easily.

I have never tried a rivet removal tool.

Considering how many hours the tool will be in use, going cheap is false economy. Getting the task done neatly and promptly would sure trump buying a cheaper tool. We all want to enjoy what we're doing, too. Go buy the Sioux drill, you'll never regret it. You can shop around, maybe get a better price.

My first air drill was a Harbor Freight 3/8" model. (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...key-94585.html) It was cheap. It worked but was slow and noisy. I looked longingly at the 1/4" Sioux but it was beyond my budget at the time. I found a very old 1/4" 4500 rpm ARO drill on Ebay for about $70. It's similar to this one (which you might want to think about buying) but not the same http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARO-air-dril...2#ht_465wt_117. Even after all these years it works like new. I haven't looked back since.