Thread: Which air drill to buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which air drill to buy?

I have to drill out some rivets without damaging the parts. I was going to use my right angle air drill, but it is fixed speed, 1800RPM & it isn't working very well. All of my electric drills are too big to be able to control well enough for this project.

I'm wondering what variable speed reversing air drill you guys would recommend. I want something that works well & is easy to control the speed but I don't want to spend a fortune.

I am seeing a very wide range of prices - this one at spruce is a good price, but I'm wondering what the quality is like.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/ATS6104.php

The ATS tools hat I have used have been of good quality . I have not used their air drills so I cannot speak directly to those.

Mike if you have a lot of rivets to remove, invest in a rivet removal tool. Puts the drill right in the middle and sets to the proper depth. You can use your electric drill, drill out 100's of rivets per hr and not oversize a single hole. Buy one for ~$50.

I quit counting, but there are probably a couple hundred - I have to take apart a 172N gear box, I need the gear leg fittings & I want to save the sheetmetal for the club's 172M.

The smallest non-battery electric drill I have is a 3/8 Craftsman that is pretty big by today's standards. (dont want to use the Milwaukee battery drill for this as one battery is weak & they are expensive) I originally thought I would use my drill press but holding the big chunk cut out of the fuselage in the proper position for each rivet would be challenging.

Would the rivet removal tool work sort of like the guide/depth gauge on my Milwaukee hammer drill & attach to the drill above the chuck?

That looks like it would make things easier, thanks.