Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to arrive at Camp Scholler to camp EAST of Doolittle?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    I'm arriving on monday the 23rd. All i'm carrying in is a 4 person tent and a couple chairs. I don't need a very big spot. Would there be any left by then somewhere near up front. I was even thinking if i'm way back in the back later in the week i could watch for any spaces opening up and move the tent up closer. Whatta think?

skeeter
    Almost nil of a chance. Spots start opening up after Wednesday.

The group I camp with has been staking sites the Tuesday before for years. We used to be able to get 57th/58th, but the last couple years it's been 54th/53rd. Our spot has been creeping further west every year.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

How about Sunday evening? Are the 101 Woods north of the registration area a common place that fill fast? Does registration guide you at all to open spaces or areas for you to go? After 18+ hrs on the motorcycle in 2 days, I'm not going to want to hunt for a spot all evening.

Nope, it's first come, first serve. You have to drive around to find a free space. There is no map kept of where campers squat.

It all depends how close you want. The further out, the easier it is to grab a spot.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    So with work up to Thursday before, and a 20 hour drive from Houston, I can't get there until Saturday. Is it "fair" to get someone else who arrives earlier to stake out and save us a space? Or is that abusing the system?
    It is fair and commonly done. The only caveat is that the site has to be paid for from the day it is staked out.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Uncertain

This will be the third year of flying up and camping with my family. In previous years we camped at Warbirds, but we thought we would try Scholler this year, arriving on the 22d (weather permitting.) Now I am unsure about that decision. I don't need to be too far forward and a little peace and quiet is nice (especially getting the younger children to sleep.) So will I be able to find a nice spot for my large, family-sized tent and minivan, or do we just go back to Warbirds. (Note: I am flying up with my oldest, the balance is driving up with the mother unit.)

I think Tuesday before the show the area in the box will be wide open.

Just remember that some of that area is electrical spots.

And if this weather is any indication, this year I'd rather be in the shade than up close......

Quote Originally Posted by Antique Tower View Post
    I think Tuesday before the show the area in the box will be wide open.

Just remember that some of that area is electrical spots.

And if this weather is any indication, this year I'd rather be in the shade than up close......
    Are the electrical spots taken up that early also?? I'm coming up from Fort Myers, FL (will be first time for wife and daughter) and I sold this to her that we'd have electric and water. Our plan was to arrive the Wed before..thx

Wednesday before, you'll probably be able to find a spot with water and electric, if I had to guess. They don't fill up as quickly as the others because they cost twice as much. But last year was the first year, really, that they were available, so tough to judge how quickly they filled up. They were in two years ago, but that area was flooded out, so didn't see much (if any) use.

I like the area where they put the electric in. I used to camp there every year until they "upgraded" it. It's in the trees, it's cool, and right next to the showers and the theater.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    Wednesday before, you'll probably be able to find a spot with water and electric, if I had to guess. They don't fill up as quickly as the others because they cost twice as much. But last year was the first year, really, that they were available, so tough to judge how quickly they filled up. They were in two years ago, but that area was flooded out, so didn't see much (if any) use.I like the area where they put the electric in. I used to camp there every year until they "upgraded" it. It's in the trees, it's cool, and right next to the showers and the theater.~Chris
    Thx Chris, appreciate the educated opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    It is fair and commonly done. The only caveat is that the site has to be paid for from the day it is staked out.
    It's fair if you're local.
    It's fair if you have a local buddy you can impose on.
    It's fair if you're getting revenue from the early empty spots.
    For someone bringing family members for first time from 1500 miles away who doesn't have that option, it's not necessarily fair.Someone making a more substantial effort to attend due to distance, starts at a disadvantage...fair??Fair would be if everyone had the same options. If you allow staking out spots, why not reservations? More revenue, more "fair".