Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ultralight for spam-can pilot

Bob,
    I agree with the post about the Mini Max. If you have not found it already google ETLB and follow the link. East Tennessee Lonesome Buzzards is a blog dedicated to the Max and you can find any answer you seek there. The company that owned the rights to the Max (JDT) has ceased operations but is to soon be resurrected as TeamMiniMaxUSA. There web site is up but not operational yet. The designs by Roger Mann can handle the weigh too.

Gary

If you are willing to build an ultralight with traditional building techniques then you might want to check out the Legal Eagle XL. It is designed for 575lb gross so that leaves well over 300lbs for fuel and pilot. Here is my Legal Eagle XL site:

http://eaglexl-58.com

Name:  xl58-4.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  82.1 KB
    A real attraction of the Eagle is the four-stroke 1/2VW engine. I have ~250hrs Rotax two-stroke time but my interest has waned in flying anything other than a four-stroke.

Here are some videos from my Eagle:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EagleXL58?feature=mhee

Enjoy tire kicking!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    If you are willing to build an ultralight with traditional building techniques then you might want to check out the Legal Eagle XL. It is designed for 575lb gross so that leaves well over 300lbs for fuel and pilot. Here is my Legal Eagle XL site:

http://eaglexl-58.com

Name:  xl58-4.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  82.1 KB
    A real attraction of the Eagle is the four-stroke 1/2VW engine. I have ~250hrs Rotax two-stroke time but my interest has waned in flying anything other than a four-stroke.

Here are some videos from my Eagle:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EagleXL58?feature=mhee

Enjoy tire kicking!

Sam:
    I've seen pictures of your Legal Eagle on VAF, and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. I REALLY like the LE. When I get finished with the S19, I know I'll build something else. I really do enjoy building. The LE XL (I think it's called) is on my list to check out.

Sam, I really need to get over and see your LE. I'm glad you like it. Bob

Sam, LE looks great! One of the best looking I've seen so far.

What's the diff in your kit car and Ron Champion's "LOCOST"? I'm guessing you didn't have to fab and weld the chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Alabama View Post
    Sam, I really need to get over and see your LE. I'm glad you like it. Bob
    Bob, let me know when you want to see XL-58 and we'll set up a visit. It's based at DCU....don't know how close you are.
    Sam Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Sam, LE looks great! One of the best looking I've seen so far.

What's the diff in your kit car and Ron Champion's "LOCOST"? I'm guessing you didn't have to fab and weld the chassis?
    Thanks, Marty!

This is thread creep but I'll try to answer briefly. The Stalker V6 is the car the LOCOST wanted to be when it grew up. Camaro 3.4 V6 with headers and Holley 4-barrel, real car handling, factory-welded chassis, 170 hp in 1450 lbs of car. Later versions of the Stalker are built with the super charged 3800 (275hp) and some are now built with LS6 V8 (400+ hp!!!!). Many autocross and track day competitions have been won with Stalkers, it is a true street-legal track car.

My Stalker V6 project:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/stalkerv6
    Sam Buchanan

I'll take a look when I'm done working through the LE YouTube videos......

Bob, let me know when you want to see XL-58 and we'll set up a visit. It's based at DCU....don't know how close you are.
    Sam, this is Bob Boone. You know me, you took me for my first airplane ride in your cub when I was just thinking about learning to fly!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Alabama View Post
    Sam, this is Bob Boone. You know me, you took me for my first airplane ride in your cub when I was just thinking about learning to fly!

Bob
    Hey, Bob!

I failed to pick up on the Stinson and C172 hint.

Let me know when you are going to be at the aerodrome and we'll talk light aircraft. Perspectives may have changed since we had similar conversations in the early '90's.
    Sam Buchanan