Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Museum cameras

Museum cameras

Anyone know why the museum cameras have been either non responsive or completely inoperative the past several days?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    Anyone know why the museum cameras have been either non responsive or completely inoperative the past several days?
    We don't want you spying on us! Just kidding, I really don't know, but I'll check with the IT folks and find out.

Zack

This is my poor attempt at explaining what is happening as related to me from our IT folks. As of this moment in time, the web cameras and the public internet access at the museum run off the same T1 broadband connection. When public internet usage at the museum is up, there isn't enough "juice," ie bandwidth for the cameras to work correctly. Not the answer you want to hear, but that's why they don't seem to be working correctly.

Zack

Thanks Zack. No offense (I know you're just the messenger) but that's the excuse we've been hearing for several years. I seem to remember the last time I received the EAA annual report that EAA had multiple millions of cash and assets. Seems to me they could spring for some additional band width.

A T1 line may be inadequate for that application. Sharing 1.54 Mbps among an unknown, possibly large, number of public users and also expecting it to support (#?) web cams is probably optimistic. Does the T1 also support the museum's staff offices?

A T1 used to be considered a fast connection, but it's pretty run-of-the-mill these days. A lot of this forum's members have equivalent speed at home, at least on the downstream side, using ADSL. Even higher speeds are routine with cable broadband and fiber optics.

You might try stepping it up to a T1C or T2 (approximately double and quadruple T1 speed, respectively). Also, test the museum's local networking gear, particularly looking for bottlenecks related to extremely long cable lengths to the cameras.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

You have to remember that Green Bay, Appleton, and Oshkosh areas don't have huge pipes like Tucson, Phoenix, Milwaukee. 10mbit+ up/connections are extremely expensive and require them to run cables!
    Michael Goetzman - Milwaukee WI
    https://picasaweb.google.com/goetzman

The obvious solution is to move the museum to Phoenix. I'll start looking for suitable land immediately, and have the local ISP standing by with big bandwidth!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

The move to Milwaukee would be much cheaper and easier. I know of some land near the old Hales Corners Airport, and even a building that would be suitable...
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

6 months later and still no cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    6 months later and still no cameras
    Obviously, the cameras are not an EAA priority.

We have plenty of bandwidth here in Tucson, since we have Kitt Peak National Observatory, the Whipple Observatory, and the Large Binocular Telescope in the vicinity. They have to move terrabytes of data quickly and manage to do it in this region. I was web browsing at Kitt Peak last week at the same time they were transferring data and it was still blazingly fast.

Move the EAA Museum to Tucson. We already have the Pima Air and Space Museum and can readily accommodate another. Besides, aircraft last forever in this environment (that's why the Boneyard is here) and everyone will be able to see them from the fully functional and accessible over the internet cameras that we would have here.
    Bill