Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "May I see your licence Mr. Examiner?"

For folks who are unfamiliar with accessing FAA info, you can find your FAA Designated Pilot Examiner(s) by going to http://av-info.faa.gov/designeesearch.asp If an individual can be identified through the FAA web site, you don't have to worry about their credentials on the day you meet them.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

It boggles my mind how anyone would want to risk antagonizing the very person who will decide whether or not they will be able to fly.....unbelieveable.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Since they couldn't go out on strike, they declared that nothing illegal would be done, but EVERYTHING would be done BY THE BOOK.
    This is a pretty common tactic at airlines. Pilot unions call for a fly-the-book campaign when they desire to make an impact on management during contract negotiations. The legality of it vis-a-vis the Railway Labor Act (federal law governing airline labor relations) is hotly debated.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I had a roughly similar experience at a ramp check in Newcastle, WY, many long years ago, probably 37 or so. I was racking up the hours for my commercial and had stopped there for fuel late on a Friday afternoon, enroute to Sundance, WY, where my folks lived. I had just paid for the fuel and was walking back to the 172, when I was stopped by a nicely dressed fellow who had just landed in his Bonanza.
    "Where are you going?" he asked.
    "Sundance."
    "That's a pretty short strip--think you can handle it?"
    "Yup, I've been in and out of there a couple dozen times."
    "Can I see your license and the airplane's papers?"
    "Nope, not unless you are prepared to show me yours."
    "I'm from the FAA."
    "I really don't care if you're from Mars. I'll show you my license and the airplane's papers if you'll show me yours."
    "And if I don't?"
    "Then we're wasting time--I need to be on the ground before dark in Sundance."
    At that point, he laughed and said, "Have a nice flight."

I don't really know if he was from the FAA, but I have always taken the position that if any purported official wants me to identify myself and my vehicle or airplane, he/she better be prepared to properly identify him/herself first.

Cary

Good Job! Still applies today...

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I had a roughly similar experience at a ramp check in Newcastle, WY, many long years ago, probably 37 or so. I was racking up the hours for my commercial and had stopped there for fuel late on a Friday afternoon, enroute to Sundance, WY, where my folks lived. I had just paid for the fuel and was walking back to the 172, when I was stopped by a nicely dressed fellow who had just landed in his Bonanza.
    "Where are you going?" he asked.
    "Sundance."
    "That's a pretty short strip--think you can handle it?"
    "Yup, I've been in and out of there a couple dozen times."
    "Can I see your license and the airplane's papers?"
    "Nope, not unless you are prepared to show me yours."
    "I'm from the FAA."
    "I really don't care if you're from Mars. I'll show you my license and the airplane's papers if you'll show me yours."
    "And if I don't?"
    "Then we're wasting time--I need to be on the ground before dark in Sundance."
    At that point, he laughed and said, "Have a nice flight."

I don't really know if he was from the FAA, but I have always taken the position that if any purported official wants me to identify myself and my vehicle or airplane, he/she better be prepared to properly identify him/herself first.

Cary
    My experience with ramp checks both in and out of air carrier ops is that IF the ASI is officially conducting ramp checks they will lead off the contact with their identification. If he is just out to bust, um, the family jewels he can go pound sand. Not that I would say it that way because he is still a human being.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem