Thread: Lycoming O-235-4 engines

Lycoming O-235-4 engines

I have an 70% complete Lycoming O-235-4 (100 hp) engine. I am assuming this was a military engine as most military engines used the dash (-) numeral in the model number rather than a dash (-) letter. This engine is also unusual for a Lycoming as the the starter and generator are rear mounted on the accessory case.
    QUESTION; which military aircraft used this engine ? I thought it might have been the Navy AE-1 or HE-1 Piper J-5 variants. However the TCDS sheet only references the O-235-B engine.
    Any thoughts ??

Eric, I took the liberty of copying your post over to the Warbird Information Exchange forums to see if anyone there had an answer for you. There have been more than a few responses and you can see them here: http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=46072

Hope this helps.

Zack

Embarrasment

I have to thank Zack for for forwarding this thread to the WIX. After reading the responses on the WIX, I went to the engine and pushed away the cobwebs and rechecked the dataplate. To my embarrasment, I found the engine to be an O-235-2 overstamped to a -B designation. The dataplate has an acceptance date of 4-10-43. Somehow I had this engine recorded in my notes as a -4. A thanks to the WIX folks that looked into this.

Zack; please pass this on to WIX.

No need to be embarrassed Eric.

Zack