Thread: New to sport & looking for best method.

New to sport & looking for best method.

1. Lifetime motorcycle rider looking to take it to the next level.
    2. Like the notion of flying a weight shifted trike with goal of 2 passenger flight.
    3. Have access to a private landing strip, but prefer to fly mostly over the ocean and Lake Okeechobee. Maybe a trip from Port St. Lucie, FL to the Keys in the future.
    4. Mother and step-father are each certified pilots with private strip.

5. Is there anybody flying trikes on the Treasure Coast?
    6. How long is the average transition from a 103 trike to a 2-person?
    7. Are amphibious trikes worth the extra expense since I am surrounded by water?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    5. Is there anybody flying trikes on the Treasure Coast? Yes, for sure. I can't name one though.
    6. How long is the average transition from a 103 trike to a 2-person? See FAR 61 for requirements. They both fly the same but you must meet the FAA mimimum requirements in a N numbered trike.
    7. Are amphibious trikes worth the extra expense since I am surrounded by water? Amphibious trikes are not only more expensive, they are heavier and require more maintenance with less performance. They are disapointing unless you really need both wheels and water. The FIB is a relatively good boat.
    Trikes are the motorcycle of the sky. See quick answers imbeded above. FAA.gov Regulations. Sport pilot requirements are at the end of part 61 of the FARs.

If you go to www.barnstormers.com and do a search for trikes and specify Florida in the location field you will get a number of "hits". There is a LSA flight school in Clearwater that offers instruction and a number of Trikes for sale. You can probably call a couple of the sale listings in your area and obtain the information you seek.

Have you thought about using airplanes and motorcycles together? www.MotorcyclePilot.com

Trike Info

Contact Amy Saunders. She is heavily involved in trikes, - in building, piloting, and instructing.

She, and her husband Dan are personal friends of mine. I can confirm that they are extremely personable and will be happy to share any information you would like.

I'm sure that they would be happy to welcome you to visit the hangar in Zephyrhills and check out a couple of trikes that are there. There's also a group of "hangar cowboys" that hang out there on Saturday mornings.

Dan and Amy Saunders: 813-713-2496 - Give them a call.

And, naturally; another source for general information is your local EAA chapter.