Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duster BJ-1B

Duster BJ-1B

Anyone know where a person could find a set of plans for the Duster? - Pat

These occasionally turn up in the classifieds of Soaring and Sailplane Builder magazines. Wanted ads in same might scare up something. There was an effort a couple of years ago to revive the design and sell plans, but I don't know what became of it. The project web site and associated Yahoo group seem to have disappeared.

I created the site selling and promoting buidling of the Duster and had to shut them down at the request of Hank Thor. I had develped a realtionship with Ben Janssen over the internet and we talked about re-launching the selling plans for the Duster. Ben sent me a set of digitzed plans to sell and didnt OK this with Hank. When Hank eventually found out, he asked me to stop selling the plans and promoting the building the Duster because it put him a position of liability that he did not want that to happen. I told Hank I understood and shut both the Duster plan selling site and the Yahoo support group down immediately. Many supporters were sad that we had to do this but its important that we honor Hanks request.

While I understand and respect Thor's position, I find it unfortunate. The Duster is a neat aircraft that still fills a niche, even today. I was one of your group members, and popped in every now and then to check on things.

Quote Originally Posted by medevac121 View Post
    I'm in touch with the designer of the plane, Bengt Jansson, on my Yahoo Woodairplanes group...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/woodairplanes/

Ben is currently redesigning the duster with a new airfoil a little bit longer span and redesigned spoiler...

He has posted pictures of the complete Duster plans on the group website so you can have a look and see how it goes together...I will give a heads up to Ben about this thread and maybe he will jump in and provide more info...

Hi Group !
    I´m on the air !
    / Bengt Jansson
    username: Twister

I'm interested in a scratch built wood glider. What glide ratio would the new Duster have?

Twister L/D

Hi,
    It depends on the wing span.
    With the original 13 m span, the L/D should increase by 2 points.
    The high speed L/D should be about the same as the Duster, BUT
    the circling performance should be conciderably improved, due to my new airfoil
    lower drag at high Cl ( > .9) and a CLmax incease 0f .1 -.15 over the BJ-1
    The new layout of the fuselage (lower frontal area) with a more aerodynamicly
    clean turtleback should also help.
    The thicker airfoil should allow increased span to 15 m,
    without increasing the main spar width.

My intentions are, not to strive for max performance, but to get un updated version
    back in the air, without necessary consent from Hank Thor.

/ Ben
    Last edited by Twister; 07-01-2012 at 02:17 PM.

I believe the original Duster's best glide ratio was 29...more info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSK_Duster

minimum sink is given as 148 fpm (0.76 m/s)...those are very respectable numbers for this class of ship...

BJ-1b duster

Quote Originally Posted by medevac121 View Post
    I have a complete duster glider ,full plans ,build sheets, airworthiness certificate, log book etc. Needs a little bit of work , I have too many projects. The ad mods have been done .If interested