Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modification to EAB/LSA Aircraft

Modification to EAB/LSA Aircraft

A bit a of a complicated question, but here goes. Can a subsequent owner of an EAB aircraft modify the aircraft? For example lets say that aircraft has engine A and original builder signed of 40 hour test period and a note that says its LSA compliant, ie stall speed, weight, speed at some RPM. If subsequent owner makes an engine model change to say engine B (same HP, etc), can they test fly airplane, verify parameters and subsequently make a log entry that it is LSA compliant at stall speed, weight and perhaps a new RPM? I guess the question is the original owner the only one that can make changes such as this or can subsequent owner?

Any subsequent owner can make any modifications he likes. "Major" modifications require the FAA to be notified and the aircraft to go back into phase 1 flight testing for some period determined by the FAA (5 hours is typical). I don't believe there has to be any note explicitly saying it's "LSA compliant", but any changes in speeds should be noted in the logbook.

This isn't an answer, it's related questions. Why make an entry in an EAB log saying LSA compliant? I don't see a requirement for such an entry in FAA Order 8130.2. If it and the aviator meet "the specs" for LSA, it may be operated that way, no entry required that I could find. Where'd you find it? Thanks.

The only log book entry that must be entered for an Experimental eab is a condition inspection. You do not have to have a daily flight log. No law or rule says you do. If there is one please post it for those like me who believe otherwise.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    The only log book entry that must be entered for an Experimental eab is a condition inspection. You do not have to have a daily flight log. No law or rule says you do. If there is one please post it for those like me who believe otherwise.

Tony
    Concur with Tony, absolutely no daily flight log required (although that wasn't asked). I've seen some beauties kept like a photo scrapbook for future enjoyment reliving pleasant memories and perhaps they should be separate journals rather than logbooks which will have to be presented in a mishap investigation and lost in the paperwork vortex. Or transferred with sale. As to "only logbook entry" well read the specific aircraft's Ops Limits. The Ops Limits on an older aircraft may vary but the current requirements include:

FAA Order 8130.2H Para 460 h 4 a
    FAA Order 8130.2H App C Para 2
    FAA Order 8130.2H EAB operating limitation #13, #22, #24, #37 or #38, #39 if acro flight is desired, #40 (e.g. external GoPro), #41
    Last edited by Mike M; 12-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post

Tony
    I disagree.

While you certainly do not have to log flights at all, much less daily, you do need to log at LEAST all Major Changes along with Condition Inspections, per the Operating Limitations.

Also, although EAB's are not bound by the requirements of Part 43 (except as directed by the OL's), we ARE bound by Part 91, and 14 CFR 91.405(b) clearly requires that:

Each owner/operator of an aircraft ensures that maintenance personnel (which for EAB aircraft is whoever did the work on the plane) make appropriate entries in the aircraft maintenance records..

While somewhat indirect, this means that maintenance records must be kept for EAB aircraft. If you do something to the plane (change the oil, replace the brake pads, etc.), you're supposed to log it.

That's a somewhat liberal interpretation of the regs. 91.405(b) requires a maintenance entry only to ensure the aircraft has been "returned to service," a Part 43 term that is not really applicable to a homebuilt. Who qualifies as "maintenance personnel" for a homebuilt? What are his privileges and limitations? What content and form are required for these homebuilt maint. records? Where do I find this info?
    Last edited by martymayes; 12-02-2015 at 01:24 PM.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    A bit a of a complicated question, but here goes. Can a subsequent owner of an EAB aircraft modify the aircraft?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    That's a somewhat liberal interpretation of the regs. 91.405(b) requires a maintenance entry only to ensure the aircraft has been "returned to service," a Part 43 term that is not really applicable to a homebuilt. Who qualifies as "maintenance personnel" for a homebuilt? What are his privileges and limitations? What content and form are required for these homebuilt maint. records? Where do I find this info?
    So let's take a look a bit further. Besides the CI and Major Changes (which I assume you stipulate must be recorded in the maintenance records), 91.413 requires a transponder check every 24 months, and if you fly IFR, 91.411 requires a static system check every 24 months. Both of these must be recorded in the maintenance records. Also, an ELT check is required every 12 months per 91.207, and that must be recorded. So even without 91.405, there are a number of other items that must be in the maintenance records other than just the CI signoff.

Next, we move on to 91.417, which requires a log of all maintenance (EAB aircraft are certainly bound by part 91, yes?) and indicates the content and form of the records. And 91.407 states that an aircraft cannot be operated unless approved for return to service. Now, we can certainly agree that Part 43 does NOT apply to EAB aircraft per 43.1, so references to WHO does the return to service are not bound by part 43, but since we can also agree that ANYONE can work on EAB aircraft (except for the CI signoff), I believe that ANYONE can sign the maintenance logs as having performed the work. But the work MUST be logged and signed off, no matter who's signature/name is attached.

Unless you're going to argue that some parts of 14CFR Part 91 don't apply to EAB aircraft, but I don't know how one would do that - 91.1 has no exemptions for EAB aircraft...

Not every EAB has a transponder nor an ELT. Please inform us "me" of the other info that would need to be in this log. Not taking into account what it takes to make the airplane airworthy. We assume this has been done. This is for daily use type of stuff.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 12-02-2015 at 04:07 PM.