Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: $3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian74 View Post
    I had some issues with Airventure, but finding free water wasn't one of them.
    I don't think the issue here is whether anyone can afford a $3.00 bottle of water. The issue is whether EAA is going too far in squeezing the last drop of cash it's member have. I believe AirVenture has become beast with a voracious appetite. The bigger it gets the more money it needs. Everything that is created requires more and more money whether it is a program or a site. I was on Compass Hill and noted that it is in pretty bad shape. It costs money to maintain it and I saw only one other couple on it when I was there. I am sure the heat had a lot to do with that, but I have noted a lot of things deteriorating and in need of repair. The new Taj Mahal of showers on the North 40 is nice, but why not just another smaller one like the one the west end of the North 40?

The new North 40 Cafe is another thing with inflated prices. EAA is competing with local business like Friar Tucks, The Charcoal Pit, Hardees and more. I am sure EAA would like to close off the gate on that side so those in the North 40 can not get to those places. So much for "goodwill" with the local merchants. I can also tell you that the local people are not very happy with some of the personnel changes that have been made with EAA. If you don't believe me, go ask them yourself.

I have no problem with making profit. I am a conservative capitalist to the core, but AirVenture is a non-profit organization and should not be in competition with any local business and whatever food facilities that there are on the site should be more for convenience. Prohibiting vendors from giving something free, especially water, sounds like something conceived in Washington DC.

AirVenture, like everything else, must evolve or die. That is a law of nature, but I recall when EAA quit making the original blue and gold "Oshkosh" patch with the year of each even because they could not get a patent on the word Oshkosh I knew that "times were a-changin'." to the dismay of many who collected the patch each year. That was the year that I quit buying patches and pins. I am sure they didn't even notice.

Ice cream cones at $2.95. Ridiculous. I only had one a day this year. Too bad I can't smuggle ice cream in like I can a bottle of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    I was on Compass Hill and noted that it is in pretty bad shape.
    That's surprising to me. My family has a memorial brick for my father up there, and we always make the trip to pay our respects. I was happy to see that they have applied a coating to the letters of each brick to restore the engraving. I was happy to see that. I thought Compass Hill looked great, especially considering the hot dry summer.

Where is Compass Hill? Still new so sorry for the easy questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian247028 View Post
    Where is Compass Hill? Still new so sorry for the easy questions.
    It's right next to the Air Academy lodge. I was there a week before AV and I thought Compass Hill looked "weathered" but I thought that's how it was supposed to look.
    Last edited by martymayes; 07-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.

My only price complaint would be directed at UWOSH. The prices for meals at the campus chow hall were, I thought, out of line. $14 for a mediocre steam table buffet is pretty steep, but at least at dinner I think almost everyone will eat a full meal.

Breakfast is another story. I'm not a big fan of cooked breakfast; I prefer cereal or toast and yogurt, and maybe a little fruit. They wanted a flat $8 for breakfast, no matter what you eat. I'm not paying $8 for a bowl of Wheaties! Fortunately I found a few granola bars in my bag and made do with that. They should really make breakfast an a la carte meal.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Breakfast is another story. I'm not a big fan of cooked breakfast; I prefer cereal or toast and yogurt, and maybe a little fruit. They wanted a flat $8 for breakfast, no matter what you eat. I'm not paying $8 for a bowl of Wheaties! Fortunately I found a few granola bars in my bag and made do with that. They should really make breakfast an a la carte meal.
    If you went in to the (?) bistro on the ground floor in Gruenhagen (sorry; just can't remember the name), they have ala carte stuff like fruit, starbucks, bagels/cream cheese, donuts, juices, cereal, etc. I've eaten breakfast there for years, for the same reason as you.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks Carl, I didn't know that. I'll keep it in mind for future visits. Sounds like just what I needed.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    I don't pay the inflated prices, I just find other ways & means to eat, drink, & be merry. Normally, I just pack my own, stick it in a backpack & don't worry about it.
    ditto. since inbev bought busch gardens, shut off the free beer samples, and raised the food prices 15% - we take in packaged snacks and empty water bottles to fill at their drinking fountains. consumers are marvelously and quickly adaptive. and when ticket prices go astronomical, we wait for specials or start competitive events. yeah, right, like i'll build a new amusement park.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    The new North 40 Cafe is another thing with inflated prices. EAA is competing with local business like Friar Tucks, The Charcoal Pit, Hardees and more.
    I have to make a quick correction here: Of the three "new" restaurants on the grounds (added this year or within the last 1 or 2), two of them are managed by Fratellos, and one of them by Kodiak Jacks.

Both of these are local businesses.

I am sure EAA would like to close off the gate on that side so those in the North 40 can not get to those places.
    This just isn't true.

As a general comment, and I'm speaking to everyone who will listen here, no longer just responding to Lindberg, threads like this one that raise issues and spark discussion and debate are valuable to all of us as EAA members. (Like so many of my coworkers, I will always be a member first and an employee second.) The ability to have these conversations in public and provide a platform so that everyone who wants to can be heard is the reason we have forums in the first place, and one of the key reasons I come to work every day. But I have to remind everybody, with all due respect, that posting misinformation and unsupported accusations shoots us all in the foot, and damages the credibility of the forums as a whole.

Respectfully,

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I have to make a quick correction here: Of the three "new" restaurants on the grounds (added this year or within the last 1 or 2), two of them are managed by Fratellos, and one of them by Kodiak Jacks.

Both of these are local businesses.

Respectfully,

Hal
    I took Stacy out for her birthday (July 26th) to the Vintage Cafe by Fratellos. We had the Bruschetta Chicken, Steak Fries, and the most amazing Oreo Cake I have ever had. Total bill was $62 with tip for the two of us. Not out of line at all with a restaurant and the food was great. So great in fact...we went back the next night to have Rib-Eye's to celebrate our Vintage Award. Again, that night it was $73 with tip since we had a few beers. Not out of line at all.

Additionally, the service was fantastic! Our waiter the first night and waitress the second night were just fantastic. Really great people and fun to talk with.

Finally, they had live music going each night. The guy on Thursday did a bunch of Jimmy Buffett stuff and, aside from forgetting the words to Margaritaville, he was really good. The girl on the piano the second night was not only cute, but man could she play and sing. Made the whole experience that much better.

I'll definitely be eating at the Vintage Cafe in 2013. Those complaining about the cost...just means more open tables so I don't have to wait.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website