Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: $3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Antique Tower View Post
    To be fair, I think Sacred Heart is staffed by volunteers.
    They are a church in town, and this is a fund raiser for the them. It is staffed by members of the parish. At one time they owned much of the land that is now part of the EAA grounds, and part of the land sale included agreements for them to be able to run their food stand. A mutually beneficial deal. They used to be the best kept secret on the grounds, now they are the worst kept secret. I make it a point to go there (almost every day) during non-peak hours and the lines are usually not bad at all.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

The Sacred Heart Church. The first year I went to Oshkosh I almost stayed in their convent.

Camelbacks and water bottles:
    Best advice I ever had was not to add anything except water, dry it out after use, and keep it from sunlight.

Banned
    YAIRS
    That's if you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    As an EAA member I was ashamed when I saw a young family buy water for the kids but passed for themselves. I chair the National Biplane Fly In and our big money maker is selling water for a buck a bottle. It only costs us .12 cents a bottle when we buy at retail at WalMart and we feel that an 830% mark up is plenty. Go ahead and charge movie theater prices for the lousy food, ice cream bars and soda, the human body doesn't have to have lousy food, ice cream bars and soda. We all have to have water! I personally consider it the worst form of profiteering when you have the only source for an essential commodity and boost the price 2,500%. How does that help "Share the spirit of aviation"? I thank God my 1939 Waco uses inexpensive AvGas and not EAA water. Wake up EAA. Time to rethink who we really are and remember what our founder said, "We're not about airplanes, we're about people.". If that is really true then be satisfied with an 800% profit and sell water for a reasonable $1 per bottle.
    That was my feeling precisely this year. Very disappointing.
    Sure there are lots of ways around it but WHY?

Psst......EAA gets a percentage on that water. They do not make money on free water. Bring your own plastic bottle and keep it filled whenever you see a drinking fountain. Then you will have more money for more nutritious adult beverages at night. But while we are at it, I can recall a lot of places used to give away free water that don't anymore. I am suspicious. Some may think it's the cause of a lot of litter that we never used to see in the past and free water meant throwing away paper cups and small bottles. Methinks that somebody has decreed that no person or entity will give away free water at AirVenture. This year I staggared around looking for water and finally found a beer tent just outside EAA property. I really felt like I was getting away with something and I think the bottles of beer were $3.00. Not bad, huh? You should have seen the bartenderettes.

They were hot weren't they?! Really enjoy that place in the evenings.
    Name:  2011-07-27_17-34-16_926.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  51.5 KB

"Really enjoy that place in the evenings."

Yep..................and there was a few afternoons that it was so dang hot that I just had to amble down there and enjoy a cold adult beverage and the view. Could not find a water fountain anywhere. And why pay $3.00 for a bottle of water when you can get a bottle of beer and a view like that. Don't ya just love aviation?

Why anyone would drink water, knowing what fish do in it, is beyond comprehension....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

What you fail to understand is the water is still $.12. the so called 2500% mark up is the fee for the convience of not having to drag your own watter with you and keeping it cold for you.
    It happens at all events like this, try buying water at the Canadian GP in Montreal...yikes!

when you go to an event like this be prepaired to pay top dollar, or hire a sherpa to carry your cooler full of cool drinks.

Bill