Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: $3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

Do you guys have any problems with mold growing in the camelback? I keep fighting that problem with the Brita pitchers at home

I wash and hang dry my Camelbak bladder (inverted) after use. Not daily, but I washed it when I got home from OSH. I also wash (rinse) again before I use it.

I have a Pur water filter reservoir in my fridge, but don't have any issues with mold in either.

I've not had a problem with the bladders getting moldy, but the tubing can be problematic if you aren't careful about it.

I'd give a camelback an occasional rinse with a mild bleach mix, to prevent mold.

There are a lot of approved ways to clean your water bladder devices. I know CamelBak makes a "cleaning kit", I have both a CamelBak and an Osprey water reservoir. I recently cleaned my CamelBak with baking soda, vinegar, and hot water (not boiling.. just warm from the tap** excessively hot water can damage a bladder!) 1 tablespoon of soda and another of vinegar.. let sit for awhile, then rinse thoroughly.

The nice things about the bladders is that most modern backpacks have some setup to allow for one. Instead of using a tiny CamelBak or a giant hiking pack, you should be able to remove the reservoir and install it into a backpack that will suit your needs while roaming the grounds.

As for the price of water, I know that there were a lot of complaints about the cost from the vendors on-site, I'm fairly sure that EAA heard your plea and hope they will rectify that for next year!

And I know that coolers are allowed on the grounds, there is a limit as to it's size, but you are allowed to carry-in your own water.

Thumbs Up Reasonable Water

The first house right outside the gate towards the beer tent has $1 ice cold water. Stopped by every time I was near. $3 is absurd. As was the $4.50 hot dog that was a cheap little dog that EAA groups sell for $1.50 at our fly-ins. Too bad so many don't care about gouging.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    The first house right outside the gate towards the beer tent has $1 ice cold water. Stopped by every time I was near. $3 is absurd. As was the $4.50 hot dog that was a cheap little dog that EAA groups sell for $1.50 at our fly-ins. Too bad so many don't care about gouging.
    I don't want to sound like I condone the gouging or think that the prices aren't out of hand, but I do want to note that the event is only a week long and spans a fairly large amount of space and there are quite a lot of places to get food... that said, the infrastructure required to not only setup those booths, but also to clean, maintain, and staff them is sizable for only a 7 day span. Not to forget cost of permits, training the temporary staff, etc. Obviously, they are making a profit from their high priced food and beverages, or they wouldn't be out there, but I would hope that EAA can turn the screws a little bit on them to prevent the gouging on water prices. For a temporary event, I don't think the rest of the food is that much out of hand... It's still cheaper than State Fair or Great America food.

In one week I ate four times at the Sacred Heart brat stand beside the transportation depot, outside the main gate. Great prices and awesome food.

Name:  IMG_3360.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  96.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
    I don't want to sound like I condone the gouging or think that the prices aren't out of hand, but I do want to note that the event is only a week long and spans a fairly large amount of space and there are quite a lot of places to get food... that said, the infrastructure required to not only setup those booths, but also to clean, maintain, and staff them is sizable for only a 7 day span. Not to forget cost of permits, training the temporary staff, etc. It's still cheaper than State Fair or Great America food.
    See the post above from Antique Tower. They have the same issues of infrastructure, staffing etc. etc. and no gouging. Great food too!

To be fair, I think Sacred Heart is staffed by volunteers.