Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

I always just fill up my subzero bottle before heading out and then when I start running low I just head to the water fountains for a refill. I never have a problem finding them, however I have never looked for them on the map to see if they are listed on there. If they are not on the maps maybe it is something for EAA to look into doing. Another good thing about my bottle is I keep it on me so it won't be laying on the ground and blowing across the runways like the disposable plastic bottles.

Camelback. It's always there, never gets in the way, and doesn't get lost.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I usually buy a Lemonade someplace and then just keep refilling the bottle from the fountains and spigots the rest of the day as I get thirsty. Keeps the trash down as well as the costs down.

If it is $3.00 water you're buying, then you're not looking hard enough or you're probably just donating to some sort of organization or cause.

Another no-waste option I have seen is to bring a closeable insulated travel mug and tie it to your person via a carabiner and/or lanyard. They hook well to a belt loop, camera vest / bag or backpack loops. Even the well water is usually quite cool.

I have a camel-bak backpack and icewater in it would be nice but I usually carry my good padded camera backpack instead.

Slipping the camelbak insert into that would pull a bunch of condensation into my camera bag and take up the laptop pocket that I usually fill with my book purchases and vendor literature.

$3.00 is outlandish but remember this; big festivals will always draw price gouging. Given you do not have to buy the water that is sold at Airventure but with the heat being how it was this year they need to make spickets more available. What I would like to know is where does the income go that is made on food and the $3 a bottle of water.

Quote Originally Posted by dmbleess View Post
    I have a camel-bak backpack and icewater in it would be nice but I usually carry my good padded camera backpack instead.

Slipping the camelbak insert into that would pull a bunch of condensation into my camera bag and take up the laptop pocket that I usually fill with my book purchases and vendor literature.
    Not sure if it would cover your needs for the camera, but Camelback does make a combo with a rucksack that's designed to keep the condensation out of the the storage area. It should keep your vendor stuff dry. Bottom line, there's a lot of ways (as you and others have mentioned) to beat the system if you're willing.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I got browned off on Camelback after the one I had sprung a leak on the internal bladder early on and they told me to take a hike.
    (The bladder has to be a $1 part for them and replacing it would have been the honorable thing to do). Not a kind thing to happen on the beginning of the 20 mile run (fortunately I had a carry bottle and there were places to refill it).

I got a NALGENE "camelback" style backpack which I use for my 20 mile runs. It's got enough storage to carry a set of warmups. There's a insulated bag the bladder fits in before it goes into the pack so I've never had a condensation problem. By the way, the trick to avoid the sloshing is to make sure there is no AIR in the bladder after you fill it.

water buffalo

The best tasting free water, and usually cold, is the "water buffalo" trailers that are here and there. Don't tell everybody, but now you know.
    plans building a Sonex!!

Interstater
    Quote Originally Posted by nfdlpilot View Post
    The best tasting free water, and usually cold, is the "water buffalo" trailers that are here and there. Don't tell everybody, but now you know.
    And who told you? Hmmm?

Seriously, the water buffalos (trailers) are nice, but there needs to be a lot more of them.
    Last edited by Interstater; 08-09-2011 at 08:25 PM.

We were walking around in the Fly Market. We had to get some hardware so we headed for Airparts Inc. When I asked about the $1 water bottles that they always used to have, they said EAA wouldn't let them sell it anymore. What a joke!

Camelbak is by far the best way to go. I wear mine all week when I'm touring the grounds. Top it off each day with 2L of cold water from the cooler and it stays cool most of the day. I pay about 15-cents for a .5L bottle, so I fill my Camelbak for 60-cents a day.

@FlyingRon... sprung a leak, really? Wow! I used the same Camelbak for 5-years in the military and never damaged it. I'm on my third unit now (15 years after buying my first... dog chewed up the second one), and I love em. They are a little pricey... $40 for the bare bones... $80 - $100 for the day pack type. Give em another try... not only is it a great alternative to $3 water, but it is an excellent addition to your survival goods, if you are in to that sort of thing.