Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS

$3.00 for a bottle of water! EAA should be ashamed.

As an EAA member I was ashamed when I saw a young family buy water for the kids but passed for themselves. I chair the National Biplane Fly In and our big money maker is selling water for a buck a bottle. It only costs us .12 cents a bottle when we buy at retail at WalMart and we feel that an 830% mark up is plenty. Go ahead and charge movie theater prices for the lousy food, ice cream bars and soda, the human body doesn't have to have lousy food, ice cream bars and soda. We all have to have water! I personally consider it the worst form of profiteering when you have the only source for an essential commodity and boost the price 2,500%. How does that help "Share the spirit of aviation"? I thank God my 1939 Waco uses inexpensive AvGas and not EAA water. Wake up EAA. Time to rethink who we really are and remember what our founder said, "We're not about airplanes, we're about people.". If that is really true then be satisfied with an 800% profit and sell water for a reasonable $1 per bottle.

You think that's bad, try the Paris Air Show. I paid the equivalent of $25 for a sandwich and bottle of water there this summer.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I won't/don't buy water I'll use the drinking fountains

I believe bottled water is sold at the Vintage information building for a lot less. I know it's not publicized at all, and since it's only one location, it's often a long distance from where you are on the airport.

With all the recent expansion on the grounds, more water fountain locations should be on the short list for an improvement. I don't have any idea where water pipes are running through the site, but hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to tap into a few more locations.

A lot of the site isn't on municipal water. There are wells scattered in various places (pretty much indicated by where there are water fountains, shower buildings, etc...).

Once again, an idea PROMOTIONAL opportunity for Bottled Water companies, like Polar.

Free, or very low price, PROMOTIONAL distribution of cool, clean, fresh tasting bottled water.

BEER companies do it at similar events... so why not WATER.

If I was dying of thirst, and had that thirst quenched at Oshkosh, by a plentifull supply of cold, clean, fresh tasting bottled water, then whose water would I probaby select in the supermaket after that ...

Geoff

I will agree that $3 for a bottle of water is too much, but, for what it's worth, it possibly cut down a little on the trash left scattered around the grounds this year. That's what disgusted me more than anything. In my years at AV, it's always been one of the cleanest gatherings I could think of, but this year the litter on the ground was horrible. When the wind storm hit on Saturday during the airshow, I saw bottles, cups, bags, and even plastic utensils flying around. Granted, some of that may have been from people who had laid their trash aside for disposal after the show, but during the evenings, I would walk around and start picking cups, bottles, etc... up that were just laying around. I've never had to do that before. Sorry. I just needed to vent about that for a minute.

Nobody is making anybody buy $3 water.

Cheaper water is available in the Ultralight Area, the IAC tent, and maybe Vintage. Beyond that, there are water fountains. Shoot, I think you can bring your own water if you want.

I remember one year Honda had a big tub of free water bottles. It was real popular.
    PIC Insurance gave away free water one year too if I recall.

I love your 'location' Jason A.!